House flood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hi there, I own a leopard tortoise who is around 7-8 years old, until recently she had lovely indoor housing (as i live in the UK) however last week we had a house flood and as a result I am having to keep her in a vivarium until i can make her something more suitable. She obviously isn't impressed with her new accomodation but she doesn't seem to be stressed and with the lovely weather we're currently having she is outside a lot of the time.
Having said this I am really worried about her having to be in the vivarium, It is no where near big enough for her and should I be leaving it open topped for ventilation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Could you perhaps post pictures? It's so much easier to see what your dealing with that way. Otherwise we all may visualize something not at all like you have.

Any rough guess on how long until you will be able to work on her enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Yourlocalpoet":

Welcome to the forum!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Poor torty being flooded out of her home.

What is her name? Do you set her up outside in the summertime?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the forum. On the bright side the flooded house should be nice and humid.

Ok. Probably not funny.

In general the bigger the enclosure the better. This applies to temporary emergency housing too. Just use the biggest container you can. Hoofstock watering toughs work great in a pinch. Is there a horse supply place near you? I'm not familiar with what is available in the UK.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcomes! It will probably be a week or so until i will be able to set something up her for, it's difficult to find room when you're staying in someone else's house!
Her name is Esmerelda, and she does have an outside enclosure but it isn't warm enough for her to sleep outside even in the summertime as although the weather has been great recently (she's been basking in the garden today) the temp drops in the evening and tomorrow we are forecast rain, bloody tempremental british weather! :(
Unfortunaely there are hardly any places like that Tom i have to go to a garden centre to buy hay etc.
Will attempt to post up some pictures asap.
Thanks for the replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
As long as it is warm enough for her to be outside during the day, you could even put her in a cardboard box at night because she would just be sleeping. Thank goodness for outdoor pens ;)

I would probably leave the top off the viv when she is in it at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.