Horsfield help!

aeroamy

5 Year Member
Hi I bought a Horsfield a month ago and he’s not doing great - he is only tiny and vet says good weight etc. But he went off his food with a vit a deficiency and just can’t get him going again!
I have been bathing him in reptoboost at least once a day
He is getting shots once a week from vet
And they tube fed him yest and today but he still hasn’t perked up - so worried can anyone help ?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Please give us pictures of your enclosure. What are your enclosure temps? Cool side, basking, and night.

What kind of shots is the vet giving?

aeroamy

5 Year Member
Vet is giving him vit a and I keep the glass open for ventilation

aeroamy

5 Year Member
I had lights off all day today so just warming up now but 28 -30 during day at hot end and around 20 cool

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Is he keeping his eyes closed? I can’t really tell from that picture?

Tortoises rarely need vitamin injections so you might want to hold off on those for a bit while we try to help with your setup here first. That’s usually the problem. Let’s start with the temperatures mentioned above.

Stick on temperature gauges aren’t very good so if that’s what you’re using, invest in a laser thermometer gun instead, they’re available on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity-L...efix=Laser+thermom,aps,640&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1. They’re inexpensive and work great.

aeroamy

5 Year Member
Both eyes open now but had been closed - apparently to do with vit a deficiency... will def buy thermometer- any other tips as so wee to last not eating

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He shouldn’t eat tomatoes, they are technically a fruit and Russians aren’t built to digest sugars. They seem to suggest tomatoes as a good food pretty often in the UK, they aren’t. Your Russian might like them, as they are pretty much tortoise candy but they aren’t a proper food.

Eyes issues are often caused by improper lighting. I’m not very good at explaining this, my Russian lives outdoors, so I won’t say very much. Are any of your bulbs coil shaped? They can harm the eyes. I mention this because it’s rare for a tortoise to need injections; vets sometimes give them when they aren’t needed. I’m not saying yours is, just that it happens. I’ll let someone else give full feedback about the lighting setup.

What kind of substrate are you using? If it’s aspen or cedar it needs to be replaced but I can’t tell from the picture.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Hiya, I’d give the care sheets a read on here (if you haven’t already) and see if they’re any help re set up and lighting.
Does he eat when he’s in his enclosure at all?
I know daily soaks are often recommended for a sick tortoise to ensure they’re hydrated so that would be worth a try. I’ve also heard about carrot baby food soaks but have no experience of that myself, I’m sure a more knowledgeable member could advise further.
What was the vets opinion on what was wrong?
I’d maybe change his substrate, even if it’s just newspaper that can be changed daily.

:)

aeroamy

5 Year Member
It’s beech chip and was recommended but might try newspaper if u think worth it - bath him twice a day atm in reptoboost.
He has never eaten tomatoes that was me trying to get him to eat anything at all as something better than nothing !
His eyes are fine now it’s the not eating that’s worrying me so so so much more

aeroamy

5 Year Member
He shouldn’t eat tomatoes, they are technically a fruit and Russians aren’t built to digest sugars. They seem to suggest tomatoes as a good food pretty often in the UK, they aren’t. Your Russian might like them, as they are pretty much tortoise candy but they aren’t a proper food.

Eyes issues are often caused by improper lighting. I’m not very good at explaining this, my Russian lives outdoors, so I won’t say very much. Are any of your bulbs coil shaped? They can harm the eyes. I mention this because it’s rare for a tortoise to need injections; vets sometimes give them when they aren’t needed. I’m not saying yours is, just that it happens. I’ll let someone else give full feedback about the lighting setup.

What kind of substrate are you using? If it’s aspen or cedar it needs to be replaced but I can’t tell from the picture.

See comments below - I’m not good at this forum and replying etc - have read the guide... gonna buy a 150 degree bulb see if helps otherwise don’t know what else to do

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s hard when they don’t eat, I’m sorry he’s not feeling right.

In the UK I believe you will be able to find fir bark or coco coir; they are both suitable substrates. The beech isn’t suitable for him, I’m sorry to say.

I know it’s difficult to get all kinds of different advice when you are a new owner. The advice in this forum is more up to date than what you get from most pet stores and even vets but it’s a lot to take in.

I’m asking @Yvonne G to join this thread; she knows a lot more about babies than I do and can give better advice for your little one.

aeroamy

5 Year Member
It’s hard when they don’t eat, I’m sorry he’s not feeling right.

In the UK I believe you will be able to find fir bark or coco coir; they are both suitable substrates. The beech isn’t suitable for him, I’m sorry to say.

I know it’s difficult to get all kinds of different advice when you are a new owner. The advice in this forum is more up to date than what you get from most pet stores and even vets but it’s a lot to take in.

I’m asking @Yvonne G to join this thread; she knows a lot more about babies than I do and can give better advice for your little one.

Any advice will be taken and followed !!! Anything at all to help him - is newspaper ok until I sort proper substrate ? I have a 150w bulb ordered as wasn’t in stock in stores ... he’s bathed before and after work ...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Any advice will be taken and followed !!! Anything at all to help him - is newspaper ok until I sort proper substrate ? I have a 150w bulb ordered as wasn’t in stock in stores ... he’s bathed before and after work ...

Yeah I’d only use newspaper for a short time, or I was advised to use it when my tortoise had worms just so it was easier to keep everything clean.