Horsefield tortoise help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgieOliviaMay

5 Year Member
Hey guys, im new to this so i'll just get straight to it.

I've got a horsefield tortoise which i think is a male called barry. We think he is around 2 years old and we have had him for 5 months now.

Earlier i measured his shell and hes about 4 inches.

Soi was just wondering is he is looking like hes in good shape etc and if theirs any edvice you could give me.

SAM_3152(1).JPGSAM_3457.JPGSAM_3463.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Horsefiled tortoise help

He looks good. Tell us how you keep him and we can share our opinions on how to improve what you are already doing.

Looking at the picture it seems like he needs more outside time for grazing, sunning and exercise. Does he get outside often?

Where are you?

GeorgieOliviaMay

5 Year Member
Horsefiled tortoise help

Hey, I let him roam around the house sometimes. I live in England so it's hard to get him outside. I've tried before but he just sat there

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376951847.207952.jpg this is his setup

WillTort2

5 Year Member

Just sitting there soaking up the rays is what's good for him when outdoors.

Which light bulb are you using?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado

Mine were all lumps the first few times they went out, but if you leave them out there for a while (keeping a close eye on them unless it is a secure enclosure outside) they will get used to it and explore, plus like Will said just sitting there soaking up rays is good for him. Also I see you have a coil type bulb, I would be careful with those type, it has been reported that they harm tortoises' eyes, if that is the bulb you are using for UVB rays I suggest you look into a Mercury Vapor Bulb, they are better for the tort. Your tortoise looks good, you can also feel free to post the diet you feed him and we can give our opinions on how to help you with that as well (if necessary), and if you post a picture of his plastron(bottom shell) including tail we can help you find out if he truly is a he.

GeorgieOliviaMay

5 Year Member
Horsefiled tortoise help

I turn his sun lamp off at night as he goes under the logs or in the covered bit to dig and sleep. I shall post pictures of his under shell tomorrow :). I usually feed him flowers in the garden that I know are ok for him to eat. I feed him strawberries sometimes, dandelions, I'm growing a mix of weeds in the garden as well. He's quite picky with his food :/. I'm also quite worried it'll be too cold outside for him so I let him go on the floor in the house.

I'm using the sun and heat lamp the pet shop told us to use. The guy who served us has two Horsefield and he told us to use these

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376955039.965392.jpgJust went to take some pictures and he's fast asleep!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
He looks good. What is your substrate? How big is your enclosure? And can you show a photo of your lamp?

Regarding strawberries, only feed them once a month or less. They have too much sugar and should only be used as an occasional treat.

The floor of the house is often too cold for your tort. The dandelions are good for your tort. Make sure he gets a wide variety of foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.