Horsefield tortoise diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmahaddock25

5 Year Member
Hey guys :) i have a little 11 month old horsefield tortoise. The pet shop recommends that we only feed her mixed leaves and broccoli and not change her diet until she is a little older. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Emma and petunia [TURTLE] ImageUploadedByTortForum1377598444.634826.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ipaw

5 Year Member
Hello, I know this doesn't really answer your question but I have recently gained two horsefield tortoises too, both around 2 years old now, I have been feeding them on pretty much the same as you have but I was wondering how often do you feed them? Because I'm not quite sure how often I should, is it every day and how much? Sorry again for not being any help!
Here is a picture of one of mine :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377599372.945182.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
ipaw said:
Hello, I know this doesn't really answer your question but I have recently gained two horsefield tortoises too, both around 2 years old now, I have been feeding them on pretty much the same as you have but I was wondering how often do you feed them? Because I'm not quite sure how often I should, is it every day and how much? Sorry again for not being any help!
Here is a picture of one of mine :)

Everyday and as much as they will eat!

I don't see a problem with changing the diet a bit but I would do so slowly

ipaw

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help! Much appreciated :)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Its ok, they can eat like pigs! Or go through spells where they sleep all day and don't eat much... but mostly they eat like pigs!

ipaw

5 Year Member
Okay that's very good to know thanks :) I heard before that they just eat for the sake of it so was a little worried about over feeding them, but you don't think that's a problem? :)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
There are people who think they shouldn't grow too fast so monitor food intake but I don't think it is a problem so long as all the conditions are right.
They will grow, but they are natural grazers... when they are adults and no longer growing I would be more likely to worry about them putting on too much weight

ipaw

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! That has definitely put my mind at rest, I will keep doing what I am doing then :)

emmahaddock25

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help guys :) I also feed mine once a day! She always eats how ever much I give her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.