homemade housing

THEELEG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Just about finish the lil guys new indoor housing today, just gotta do a few more things and it will ready. He is too big for his aquarium and I want him to be able to get exercise inside as wellimage.jpeg

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Looks like a decent footprint. Are you planning to keep it open on top or cover it?
I'm gonna keep it open, I have a pretty good thermometer see what it does and go from there. All recycled wood and screws didn't cost me a thing

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm gonna keep it open, I have a pretty good thermometer see what it does and go from there. All recycled wood and screws didn't cost me a thing

Why wouldn't you cover it? Inside the house (this is where it's going, right?) heat will register at room temps. If the house is 69 degrees, would that be ok for your tort? Also, does your tort need humidity? That too may be too low w/o a cover, don't you think? You have a sully, right? Other than that, it looks really great! And, it didn't cost you a small fortune :)

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I read he can be in temps between high 60s to 80s, and he will have his light so if he needs to warm up it will be there. A local reptile store near us sells some sort of Moss stuff that keeps moisture and helps with humidity, and his house in the back has hinges on it so I can open and close it

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I've seen some much more knowledgeable folks than me around here on the forum recommending the closed chambers approach to keep 80% humidity for sulcata enclosures. This is also what I personally use.

I'll leave this thread here for your reading pleasure :) :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Hey thanks, ya I'm gonna finish it up tomorrow and put some bedding down and plant some seeds. I will post pic when it's all finish, I'll def give it a read thanks again

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I read he can be in temps between high 60s to 80s, and he will have his light so if he needs to warm up it will be there. A local reptile store near us sells some sort of Moss stuff that keeps moisture and helps with humidity, and his house in the back has hinges on it so I can open and close it

I think you've read some bad stuff. If it's a sulcata you have, they can live in those temps but they will not thrive. Sulcatas need warmth (80 degrees and above) and humidity (about 80%). This is not just for hatchlings, but for sulcatas of all ages.

Your new housing looks great! I think when you get it all set up, it's gonna look like a little oasis for your lil guy. But, with a few little alterations, your sulcata baby can thrive so much better. He'll get big before you know it, and he'll need to move out into a heated, humid enclosure especially during the cold, dry winter months. I know you want the best for your little guy; otherwise you wouldn't have gone through all the time and energy to build this enclosure and become a member this forum. Please consider some of Tom's threads on how to raise a health, pyramid-free tortoise. He raises and breeds this species. We all have learned from his mistakes so we don't have to learn from our own. I await your finished product :)

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I think you've read some bad stuff. If it's a sulcata you have, they can live in those temps but they will not thrive. Sulcatas need warmth (80 degrees and above) and humidity (about 80%). This is not just for hatchlings, but for sulcatas of all ages.

Your new housing looks great! I think when you get it all set up, it's gonna look like a little oasis for your lil guy. But, with a few little alterations, your sulcata baby can thrive so much better. He'll get big before you know it, and he'll need to move out into a heated, humid enclosure especially during the cold, dry winter months. I know you want the best for your little guy; otherwise you wouldn't have gone through all the time and energy to build this enclosure and become a member this forum. Please consider some of Tom's threads on how to raise a health, pyramid-free tortoise. He raises and breeds this species. We all have learned from his mistakes so we don't have to learn from our own. I await your finished product :)

Wife and I were talking, we're going to put some plexiglass around it and let the light hang in there like I was reading, so the humidity builds up too. I'll prob be stoping at lowes later to get some so hopefully I'll have a picture for y'all. Thanks for all the feed back

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wife and I were talking, we're going to put some plexiglass around it and let the light hang in there like I was reading, so the humidity builds up too. I'll prob be stoping at lowes later to get some so hopefully I'll have a picture for y'all. Thanks for all the feed back
Great! I can't wait to see your project when it's all done!!! I just wanted you to see my insulated shed for my sullies. Recently my husband, who is a developer, created a remote temp /humidity and barometric pressure sensor that constantly gives us readings of conditions in their shed. Here it is. WP_20160212_13_16_21_Pro.jpg WP_20160213_18_02_24_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_01_16_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_00_53_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_29_Pro.jpg