Home made substrate

kakashi_12

Location (City and/or State)
Erie
I have used a wood chipper in my yard to get rid of branches and sticks that I have collected at the edge of my yard over the years.
Can I use this as substrate? I am guessing people are going to say "no, because of the fact that they are sharp".
Even if that is the case, can I wet them down in water 1st then use it?
Thank you for feedback...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have used a wood chipper in my yard to get rid of branches and sticks that I have collected at the edge of my yard over the years.
Can I use this as substrate? I am guessing people are going to say "no, because of the fact that they are sharp".
Even if that is the case, can I wet them down in water 1st then use it?
Thank you for feedback...
Its not the sharpness, its that the mulch will grow fungus, mold, mildew and it will rot. We use the substrates we use because they inhibit these problematic organisms.

I don't think it wold be a problem to use some in a section of a large outdoor enclosure. The breakdown of the material in that situation would be controlled by the elements and probably not an issue.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides that, the type of wood you chip/shred matters. You don't want to use any toxic woods as substrate. I have shredded mulberry branches and used the result in my enclosures.