HOLIDAY??

margykid

Hello.
The other day I got my baby Benjy.
He is eating and supposedly drinking. But I just can't seem to apply to his every need!!
I think it would be better if I take him back for a month or so until he is abit older.He is 7weeks
Now and I know his first few months are the most important. What do you think??
I am capable of looking after my tortoise for sure but I think I want him to be back with his brothers and sisters in a more controlled environment.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What kind of tortoise and where is your location. They are not pack animals and "brothers and sisters" would only be competitors of food and spreaders of disease and not needed. Also, most breeders charge much more as the tortoise gets older. There is every bit of help here that you would ever need. What every need do you need help with?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'd keep him and work with him, it may be more difficult but you'll be raising him as you want, and people here are great for helping with that (im not a baby expert but many are) I think it's less traumatizing if he stays put with you rather than having ot adjust with the other again to come back again, too much stress in a young one in my opinion. plus you'll miss the growing and beginning stuff you'll never experience with him/her again. I wish I got hatchling time with Nank, alas he was somewhere in a desert where no one experienced baby Nank, in fact sometimes I forget he even was a baby one its so disconnected to me with him.
Definitely ask all the advice in the world you need here and keep the hatchling with you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard on a tortoise to change environments. They're territorial. Once they get used to living in a certain space, it is pretty stressful to be uprooted and plunked down in a new space...especially one he has to share with other tortoises.

margykid

He keeps rubbing his eyes and they seem to have a crust on one side. I think I am doing something wrong!! But what??:(

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
is the humidity ok? and what kind of UVB bulb are you using, the coil fluorescent ones people have had eye problems with, especially in hatchlings. I had one on my adult for 2 years without problem but he wasn't a hatchling with sensitive eyes. Someone with more experience on that could tell you symptoms and signs if its the case.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Tell us exactly how you are caring for him. What are the 4 temps in the enclosure,hot side, cold side, basking and night. Post pictures of your enclosure and we will help you tweek your set up.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If I remember correctly, the OP has said she is 12 years old. I'm not sure how well she can manage his needs without assistance from her parents?

margykid

If I remember correctly, the OP has said she is 12 years old. I'm not sure how well she can manage his needs without assistance from her parents?
Hi everyone. Yes I am 11. I am sorry to disappoint you but
I am taking Ben back on Sunday and picking him up in November or Demcember.
It's for the best for him.I think it is the best choice.:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It's not a disappointment, I assure you! I think you are very responsible to return him if you suspect you can't provide the care he needs right now. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For what it's worth, I am impressed with your decision. :) Very mature to think that out and follow through like that.