Holiday dilemma

sdbmc

We are going away for a week next month and I'm not sure what to do about Tutu. He stays in an outdoor enclosure (we're on italian riviera so hermann's natural habitat) with a hutch for bedtime, each morning I open his door for him to come out and at nighttime I put him in the hutch and close the door. He hasn't learned to go into his house on his own at nighttime yet preferring to snuggle under his Habba Hut which he pushed under some bushes. He has some eatable plants in his enclosure and I am preparing some grazing dishes which I hope will be ready by then, I'm also going to ask either my nephew or a neighbour to pop round each morning to give fresh water and food. My dilemma is do I ask them to go round twice a day, to open door in the morning and put him to bed (supposing they can find him!!) at night, or do I leave him out all night snuggled under his Habba Hut? The problem is my neighbour is just next door but I'd prefer not to give her a key to our garden and plus she is very busy out of the house from 7.30am - 8pm and I don't want to add to that work, my nephew is off school at the moment so time wise is fine but it will be a half hour round trip for him not counting time spent with tortoise and also being a 15 yr old on school holidays not sure how early he will get there in morning to open door.

What would you do?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any way he could stay inside in something temporary for the week?

sdbmc

I could set him up something for inside and send him off to my nephew's house, but prefer not to disturb him too much and he would go crazy trying to get out of a 'box' rather than being free to roam his enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Just thinking it might be easier for YOUR piece of mind. I know how easy tortoises can become invisible out in their enclosures and make things hard for the care takers. Do you have lots of things to worry about getting to him at night, if he stayed out all night?

sdbmc

My main worry is rats but I'm thinking I'll get some sort of net/grill to cover enclosure and leave him out maybe he'll learn to go into his house on his own!!