Hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
I created a hide for Mazie using an idea from this forum. Mazie has no interest in it. She'd rather sleep in the corner of her outdoor enclosure. So, at night I've been forcing her into her hide and blocking her in until sunrise.

Anyone else has this issue?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376685024318.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376685024318.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 176

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always blocked the tortoises in at night.

Here's an idea for the next time you use one of those totes for a hiding place: Cut the door from the floor of it instead of the top, and keep it upright. That way you can lift off the lid if you need to get inside, without turning it over.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Okay. I felt like I was locking the door on a kid or something! Hahaha

Yeah, I did end up doing that, actually. I knew I'd need to get into it eventually.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a shoe box hide in an outdoor enclosure?

You have a tortoise small enough to fit in a shoe box hide sleeping outside all night?

Where are you?

I find it easier to move the box to where the tortoise wants to sleep, rather than trying to make the tortoise sleep where I want the box to be.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: Hide

Tom said:
You have a shoe box hide in an outdoor enclosure?

You have a tortoise small enough to fit in a shoe box hide sleeping outside all night?

Where are you?

I find it easier to move the box to where the tortoise wants to sleep, rather than trying to make the tortoise sleep where I want the box to be.

Yes.

Yes.

Arizona. At the moment, our temps stay pretty warm at night. I know that in the winter, I will need to bring the baby in.

The outdoor enclosure is up off the ground that has a top and keeps other animals out. I also cover the top with another protective layer to keep unwanted bugs away. I've had it for a long time and it's been great for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My experience with this in the past is that babies kept outside all day, regardless of temps, grow much slower than babies kept inside in more stable conditions. They tend to pyramid a lot more too, especially in a dry climate like yours or mine. What has your experience been with this?

How do you keep him cool outside when temps are 100+?

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
The enclosure is under shade. Direct sunlight never touches it. It sits under our awning alongside a shady trellis with vine growth. Along the awning is a cool misting system that goes off when temps go up on the patio. I've checked the temps during our hottest times during the day. We also have a large shady tree that help keep the temps down. If I know there is a heat warning, I bring them in.

Feel free to give me advice, I will certainly listen!

I raised this guy much the same:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376692298781.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376692298781.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 122

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
He's always smiling! Haha

It's funny to be "starting over". I definitely need to touch up on hatchling basics.

clementg

5 Year Member
ottawa, canada
i had the same problem with my baby leo... i just kept installing him in the hide at night. Now he always goes there by itself near 7:00-8:00pm and sometime i catch him sleeping there during the day

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I decided to move her hide to her spot and now she goes into whenever she feels like it. Yay!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Yeah! It's Malcom again and his chick! I just love that picture!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
ShellyTurtleTort said:
The enclosure is under shade. Direct sunlight never touches it. It sits under our awning alongside a shady trellis with vine growth. Along the awning is a cool misting system that goes off when temps go up on the patio. I've checked the temps during our hottest times during the day. We also have a large shady tree that help keep the temps down. If I know there is a heat warning, I bring them in.

Feel free to give me advice, I will certainly listen!

I raised this guy much the same:

The one in the front is beautiful but the one in the back? What did you do to him? He is so deformed he looks like a rooster! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.