Hibiscus for Russian torts?

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I read somewhere a while ago that hibiscus flowers are good treats for Russian tortoises.

Is that true? If so, where is a good place to get them? Do they like them dried as well?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I'm growing two indoors now. Easy to take care of. Rose of sharons are a variation and are really great for us northern cold climate types. Plant some in your yard next spring. Make sure you give any plant you buy from a store time to detox to work the
E chems out.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, really easy to take care of. Don't ever let them dry out, though, the leaves will shrivel and fall off... my smaller bush looks totally bare now :D
Many hibiscus types are safe to eat, and easy divide up, too... I got mine form a garden store, waited a season to feed, ad now they are a hit! The flowers I have produce a lot of very sugary nectar, so if you get a very sweet bush, it'd probably be best as just a treat :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I'm growing two indoors now. Easy to take care of. Rose of sharons are a variation and are really great for us northern cold climate types. Plant some in your yard next spring. Make sure you give any plant you buy from a store time to detox to work the
E chems out.

You using a grow light or just sunny area?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Just buy a florescent bulb or a cheap grow light! Otherwise, my stuff grows decently under my MVB in my torts enclosure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best place to get them is from long established bushes of friends, family or neighbors. When you buy a plant from the store, they are full of systemic pesticides that can last a year. The leaves are an excellent food too.

Also look into African Hibiscus. That is one of my favorites. Very easy to grow and all species of tortoise love it. All of mine eat around other pieces of food to get at the Af. Hibiscus leaves I feed them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My local Lowe's sells Hibiscus moscheutos. Are they suitable for tortoises?

Yes. That species is fine and good food, but you won't be able to feed any of it for a year. Commercially grown plants are grown with systemic pesticides. These are absorbed into the plants tissues and cannot be removed. They can take a year to dissipate to safe levels. I would only feed new growth that occurs after one year has passed.

I got this info from an experience tortoise keeper who happens to work at a nursery.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Yes. That species is fine and good food, but you won't be able to feed any of it for a year. Commercially grown plants are grown with systemic pesticides. These are absorbed into the plants tissues and cannot be removed. They can take a year to dissipate to safe levels. I would only feed new growth that occurs after one year has passed.

I got this info from an experience tortoise keeper who happens to work at a nursery.
$hit I fed the same ones to Betty for two years the die every winter so should Betty be fine she ate about 8 in two weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
$hit I fed the same ones to Betty for two years the die every winter so should Betty be fine she ate about 8 in two weeks.
Is there a question in here? Please slow down and use some punctuation so we can make sense of what you are typing.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Is there a question in here? Please slow down and use some punctuation so we can make sense of what you are typing.
So last year we bought some hibiscus from Lowe’s and fed some to Betty. The plants died over the winter, so we bought more from Lowe’s and Betty ate a lot. Could Betty be sick because she doesn’t act like herself but it could just be that I moved her to her new pen 2 days ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So last year we bought some hibiscus from Lowe’s and fed some to Betty. The plants died over the winter, so we bought more from Lowe’s and Betty ate a lot. Could Betty be sick because she doesn’t act like herself but it could just be that I moved her to her new pen 2 days ago.
Yes. It is a possibility that the toxins are affecting her.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
How is Betty doing? Is she getting used to her new pen? Acting like herself?
She doesn’t like to walk to eat her food probably because I need another light because it is about 77f where I put her food but if I put it in front of her she will eat it and she loves to just stretch out under her light and take a nap she has hissy fits about not taking a walk and digs under her water and flips it over and just goes on a full rampage even if it is raining.