Hibiscus blooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
My sister works at a local florist. When she found out that I got my new Tort, she asked if I could use some Hibiscus blooms. The ones that dry up over night and fall off (not the pretty ones still attached). She gave me a small plastic bag of the blooms, they were a little dried but I took them all the same.

Question: Is this a safe thing to give to my Tort? I am trying so hard to give her a variety, so I thought I would go to the experts.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
it's safe as long as they don't use pesticides on them. all of my tortoises love hibiscus.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Absolutely. Hibiscus are healthy and great for your tortoise.

However, coming from a nursery, I would worry about fertilizers and pesticides. I don't worry too much with greens and veggies purchased at the store, although I do prefer to buy organic. But because the hibiscus were not intended for food consumption, chemicals could be at dangerously high levels.

I would suggest just buying a couple of plants, planting them and letting them sit in the rain and the sunshine for a few weeks/months so that the chemicals leach out of them. That also gives you a renewable food source ;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Red Earth Exotics said:
it's safe as long as they don't use pesticides on them. all of my tortoises love hibiscus.

I am pretty sure they are pesticide free. I couldn't beat the price either. Thanks for the reply. I will put them in the pen now and see what happens. It is fruit day, so Gypsy is still munching on some melon.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I NEVER feed anything...no matter how desirable...that comes from a florist, nursery, etc...unless it's first had sufficient time to expel pesticides and fertilizers out of its system...usually a season or so! I would pass on the blooms...but if you were to grow a hibiscus, then you could feed out fresh flowers;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
DeanS said:
I NEVER feed anything...no matter how desirable...that comes from a florist, nursery, etc...unless it's first had sufficient time to expel pesticides and fertilizers out of its system...usually a season or so! I would pass on the blooms...but if you were to grow a hibiscus, then you could feed out fresh flowers;)

Ok. update. Blooms out of the pen. Will take the advice from the experienced ones, since that is why I asked.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It is most likely that flowers from any florist will have been treated with some type of pesticides because they want to ensure they are providing a nice pest free flower to there customer. With out it they face that problem...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have take tne advice of all that was given. I will pass on the Hibiscus blooms and have removed them from the pen. Thanks everyone, I knew I asked for a reason. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

DixieParadise said:
Red Earth Exotics said:

I am pretty sure they are pesticide free. I couldn't beat the price either. Thanks for the reply. I will put them in the pen now and see what happens. It is fruit day, so Gypsy is still munching on some melon.

I'm just wondering what kind of tortoise Gypsy is...not all tortoises can eat fruit...

Status
Not open for further replies.