hibernation

Maisy

i have never hibernated a tortoise before and i was wondering when, what time and at what weight to hibernate him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Please post pics of your tor as well as its enclosure. :tort:

Whereabouts do you live?;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:)

BudderTurtle

Also it also depends on is SCL (straight carrapace length) for the weight. And a good way to check is with the Donoughue ratio, don't use the Jacksons Ratio for russian tortoises. But for RT's the weight doesn't matter as much as the greek or hermmans tortoise. Just make sure your tortoise is healthy with no red flags.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i have never hibernated a tortoise before and i was wondering when, what time and at what weight to hibernate him.

We need more info.

Where are you?
Is this an indoor or outdoor tortoise?

I hibernate when the weather turns cold and stays cold in the fall. Its different every year. I make sure they are well hydrated and well fed before I start the hibernation process, and they need about two weeks of soaking and warmth to empty their gut before hibernation begins.

I don't go by weight as long as I'm dealing with a normal, healthy tortoise.

Maisy

we are near durahm and he is indoors. he is a horse field tortoise and is about 5 years old. the people we got him from said they would hibernate him for us ensuring he was the right weight and heathy enough. He has an vaverium ( can't spell) with glas sliding doors, the tmp of his cage is usually around 30 degrees and he has a UV light. i am in process of ordering a bigger enclosure without glass door as people have told me they dont really like the reflection. he gets bathed regally and has access to clean water. He seems to have gone off his food and has become less active is this a sight he wants to hibernate?

Maisy

Also it also depends on is SCL (straight carrapace length) for the weight. And a good way to check is with the Donoughue ratio, don't use the Jacksons Ratio for russian tortoises. But for RT's the weight doesn't matter as much as the greek or hermmans tortoise. Just make sure your tortoise is healthy with no red flags.

thank you i will have a look at that