Hibernation

Rita Hogan

Hiya, I have a similar situation. My 8 year old female has gone and dug herself into the raised bed in the polytunnel. This is her third day. She has been trying to hibernate recently. There is no fear of rain or anything else, but the cold. What should I do if anything? I only have them about 4/5 weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rita, and welcome to the Forum!

What species of tortoise is it? Since you've only had this tortoise for a few weeks, it would be a good idea to buy a very large plastic tub and set it up for the tortoise to live in over the winter. You will need substrate, feeding dish, waterer, hiding places, a UVB light and some sort of overnight heat. If you have more than one tortoise, buy two tubs. I doubt more than one tortoise would be able to get along peaceably in one tub.

We don't recommend allowing a new-to-you tortoise to hibernate your first winter with it. You need to be able to watch it for a while to be sure it is a healthy weight to withstand the rigors of hibernation...to be able to see that it's healthy and eating well and has acclimated to being in your care. So, dig that tortoise up and set it up indoors for the winter.

Rita Hogan

Thanks Yvonne, they are Hermanns. There are two of them. He went missing initially and frightened the life out of me but he surfaced. Not the case with her but yes I will have to dig her out. Wish me luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, of course...GOOD LUCK!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Rita, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Did you manage to dig your girl out ok ?

Zaffy

5 Year Member
Digging tortoise up seems wrong to me. Not an expert by any means but do humans know better than tortoises what a tortoise needs?
I have been reading about hibernating tortoises in earth or soil of some sort. Isn't this exactly what this tortoise did for itself?
Would like more info please on reasons to dig up and re-pot. Thank you.