Hibernation Help

Hi guys, this is my first winter with my Russian (we live in NH) and he has been digging way more than usual. Is this a sign that he wants to hibernate? Is there a way to keep them from hibernating? Should he start acting differently? This is all so new to me!

Thanks,
Kayla

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
No, you do not have to hibernate it. But the lights should be on for 12 to 14 hours and the temps have to be right so it does not want to hibernate. I will let someone more experienced answer too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You shouldn't really hibernate until after the first year of owning anyway. This way you know all about them and that they are healthy enough to hibernate.
Like said above, keep lights on longer and temps 80 day time, basking spot 95-100 and my night temps stay up too, but mostly because my Russian is in the same shed as my leopards.

I have a heat light in the middle of my tank that is on all the time, and then a light that makes the habitat bright. The heat light only projects heat, though.Is that enough warmth? Or should I bring in a separate heater as well? Thank you so much for responding,