hibernation advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyspurs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ireland
hi guys,
i got my Testudo (gracea) ibera, slow-mo, in mid august and i have barely got him to eat more than a few strawberries and very little greens. i know the fruit is supposed to be an occasional treat but the previous owner feed him little else and i panicked after more than a week of not eating and bought him some.
He is a big turt of about 10" scl and moves around the garden well when he gets warmed up.
My problem is that it is getting close to frost temperatures at night in Ireland now and im worried that because he hasent been eating regularly he wont have the reserves to survive the winter.
I have been soaking him every morning and always try to feed him after he is nicely warmed up but he is just not interested.
i think my best bet is to insulate my shed and heat it over the winter but i am open to any suggestions and advice.
I was thinking of using either a heatmat mounted on the wall or one of these http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...508433&ei=J0RtUI3XDcjE4AbAtoCoDQ&ved=0CA8QrhI
Zoo Med Ceramic Heat Emmiter, to keep the shed the proper temp over winter.
sorry for the long rambling post but i really need to sort this now before the temperature gets dangerously low,
cheers

Sonja215

5 Year Member
Portsmouth, VA
Hey Rusty,
Quite a few people in here suggest not brumating (same as hibernating) for the first year you've had your tort. I too have an Ibera, I keep getting the feeling he's trying to brumate but I make sure each day he gets out if his hide and eats and when there is sun outside or if the weather is on the warm side I'll make sure he's in it for at least an hour even if all he is doing is standing there or trying to escape thru the fence.

This doesn't really answering your issue with his eating habits, but at least you know that more equipped members won't recommend brumating this first year.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Rusty,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Sonja, don't brumate this year. You just got him and it sounds like he was not fed properly. Too much fruit in a Greek's diet can be a problem. Brumating is not necessary for captive bred tortoises. I think you are better off not and focusing on getting him on a better diet (as it sounds like you are). He will slow down for a while, its natural no matter what environment he's in. So don't panic if he doesn't eat for a while.

Setting him up for the winter: the heat emitter you posted will work fine. Get a cover for it, that will focus the heat. You'll have to insulate the shed where you wish to keep him. Aviod drafts. Remember you are mimiking summer, its hard to do. Take temperature readings where he'll be: floor level, corners, high, this will allow you isolate and take care of cold spots.

Good luck!

rustyspurs

5 Year Member
ireland
thanks for the replies guys,
i fit carpet for a living so i am going to use carpet underlay to insulate the shed, which should help me stabilise the temps.
i have a soil substrate which is about 3 inches deep, do you guys think i should add some more so he can properly dig in or will this encourage him to hibernate.
Thanks again for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.