Hibernating issues with my ornate yearlings

Turtlesfromcolo

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have 3 ornate yearlings that live inside. They have a UVB and UV lights set on times to keep warmth up during the winter. I have one that's been buried and sleeping for a couple weeks the other two come up and down every few days, one more than the other. They come out looking for food. I'm not sure if I should still be feeding them, or keeping lights on (didn't want them hibernating) I do soak them everytime they come out. Please help! I Don't want them sleeping on full tummies, but I feel bad not feeding them. They've only started this behavior this month. They were staying active and awake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you are keeping the heat up, they can't hibernate. The one that is buried you should dig up and check on.

Turtles can only safely hibernate if they are cold enough - indoors with a heat light on is definitely not cold enough. This means their metabolism is still working so they are losing weight while not eating. It isn't safe to let a turtle try to hibernate in warm conditions.

If you don't want them hibernating, wake them up fully. Soak them daily.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have 3 ornate yearlings that live inside. They have a UVB and UV lights set on times to keep warmth up during the winter. I have one that's been buried and sleeping for a couple weeks the other two come up and down every few days, one more than the other. They come out looking for food. I'm not sure if I should still be feeding them, or keeping lights on (didn't want them hibernating) I do soak them everytime they come out. Please help! I Don't want them sleeping on full tummies, but I feel bad not feeding them. They've only started this behavior this month. They were staying active and awake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What'a your temps day and night? Humidity? Are you giving them daily soaks? Feeding times?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
A lot of that is normal behavior for them and they may come out when you aren't around. sleeping on a full stomach for a few days would be no harm, they could be pooping and you haven't noticed it.
I would however suggest soaks at least every other day for all 3. Like Sarah said, those temps are too warm for a normal hibernation environment. I would continue to put food out daily and do the soaks.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
are you trying to not hibernate them ? if your trying to hibernate them they should be being kept around 40 degrees , and you wouldn't be seeing activity .......... I seen one member on this board describe 50-60 degrees as the "killing zone" in reference to hibernation , I think that's a pretty accurate assessment for anything I've kept ............. if you don't want to hibernate them get BRIGHT as full of a spectrum light on them for 14 hrs a day , raise the humidity , keep them wet , wet sphagnum moss is a good substrate , keep them with a hot spot in the 90's a cold spot of high 70's to 80 ..... myself I wouldn't hibernate them at this point , i'd wake them up fully and feed them ....... when I've brought them in for the winter I either got them in before they slowed down , or I left them out to hibernate a month , a month and a half , and then brought them in and woke them up ............

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Day temps 75/80 - night temps stay around 65. Humidity stays around 65/70 plus I spray down the plants (heavily planted) and substrate 2x a day. They were getting daily soaks when they were active. Once they started sleeping more, now it's about every 2/3 days. I feed live food 2/3 x a week - greens on days between. They haven't been eating their greens for a few weeks, but still actively eating the live foods. I feed in the am around 7/8. Thank you so much for all the fast responses.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Pebbles is the one that has been sleeping the most. She was out today and eating, plus getting a long soak.. I'm positive they are out more then I see, but they have definitely slowed down a lot. I did keep them outside in their enclosure this summer, but was brought back inside before weather got cold. It's reassuring that for the most part their behaviors are natural. . I incubated these guys and this has been such an awesome learning experience. Just want to do what's best for them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Pebbles is the one that has been sleeping the most. She was out today and eating, plus getting a long soak.. I'm positive they are out more then I see, but they have definitely slowed down a lot. I did keep them outside in their enclosure this summer, but was brought back inside before weather got cold. It's reassuring that for the most part their behaviors are natural. . I incubated these guys and this has been such an awesome learning experience. Just want to do what's best for them.
Sounds like things are fine and they have just slowed down a little. I don't think they are trying or have hibernated. You could probably bump the temps up a little and they may get a little more active
I put an old cell phone in when I have hatchlings just to see when they are active and how often they come out.

I think you posted pics in the past but I would love to see some new ones.....you posted pics as I was typing. They look awesome!

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Their enclosure. It's a Rubbermaid tub. The top is completely covered. I used the lid it came with and just cut out a square in the middle, screened it for the lights.

Attachments

• 1485640116657.jpg
    1485640116657.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1485640130345.jpg
    1485640130345.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 12

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Sounds like things are fine and they have just slowed down a little. I don't think they are trying or have hibernated. You could probably bump the temps up a little and they may get a little more active
I put an old cell phone in when I have hatchlings just to see when they are active and how often they come out.

I think you posted pics in the past but I would love to see some new ones.....you posted pics as I was typing. They look awesome!
Thank you. I just extended the time on their heat light to help increase temps. Yes I learned so much on their lighting and nutrition from this forum. I love it, everyone is so helpful. They have come far. Thank you.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
I have 3 ornate yearlings that live inside. They have a UVB and UV lights set on timers to keep warmth up during the winter. I have one that's been buried and sleeping for a couple weeks the other two come up and down every few days, one more than the other. They come out looking for food. I'm not sure if I should still be feeding them, or keeping lights on (didn't want them hibernating) I do soak them everytime they come out. Please help! I Don't want them sleeping on full tummies, but I feel bad not feeding them. They've only started this behavior this month. They were staying active and awake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.