ornate with MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kywest

5 Year Member
I just rescued an ornate (at least that's what they said he is - I'll try to post pics to get confirmation on that, b/c I;m not seeing "ornate" in his shell pattern) with MBD. He has a misshapen shell and almost no tail. He can move, but not close, his plastron. I'm trying to get more background on him, but right now have no idea how long he has been in this shape.
I'd like some advice about rehabbing this guy. Ive cared for turtles for about 25 years - but only healthy ones! I don't have access to a good herp vet right now.
I've got him set up in a 55gal rubbermaid with about 6" peat/bark/coir mix that is kept damp (just reading that ornates don't need as much humidity as EBT, so I'll let one side dry out) He has a t-rex 100watt lamp on one side and a regular fluorescent tube on the other. Paint tray for water and soaking. One side about 90, the other down to about 65. I'll move him outside in the spring. He hasn't eaten since I got him (about a week ago), no matter what I've offered (fruit, veggies, inverts, BT chow). Just wants to stay buried in the cool side of the enclosure. I dig him out every day and place him under the heat lamp, but soon as he warms, he crawls back to the cool side to dig in. He needs a beak/nail trim, but I was saving that for after he was more settled in.
Questions:
1. Should I heat him up - force him to stay warmer? I don't really expect him to want to eat when he is staying buried at 65-70 degrees!
2. At what temp could I safely put him in an outdoor enclosure? My other turtles go out on sunny days as soon as it is 65, then out permanently for the summer as soon as nitetime temps are about 60, but they are strappin' healthy dudes!
3. Any other advice for his rehab?
Thanks a million!
Stephanie in Ohio

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
More than likely his problem has been with poor care, diet and no sunshine. If you just treat him like you normally care for a box turtle, it will be fine. There's nothing you can do to make him look "normal." The damage has been done. Just give him a good diet, including greens, fruit and live food, and try to get him outside in the sun occasionally, and he'll do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.