HI! Thousand questions Here!!

Rhawnie

I so I am brand new on here and I am interested in getting a Tortoise probably in the next year or so. I like to do my research on things before I buy so i know what I am getting into and can make a informed decision on what I should do.. so... here goes....
1. I see from reading a few posts that Russians are perhaps the best beginner Tortoise?
2. I would like to start with a hatchling, so what is the best set up for that? Or where can i get the information for that?? I really like the look of the tables but saw that they may not be best for a hatchling? If not a table at first what then? I would not be afraid to make it too big..
3. I also live in Ohio so It can get kind of cold, so in winter i would def need to keep inside i am guessing.
4. What type of safe outside encloser is best for in the summer?
5. Where Can I get a hatchling. I don't really trust pet stores...( they cant even keep bettas in proper housing let alone anything else)...

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hello and welcome!

I'll do the best I can with your questions. But first, did you read the beginners mistakes thread? That has oodles of good info on it. Along with the threads for raising/taking care of Russians.

Russians seem to be a very popular choice. They are a bit scrappy from what I've heard though, but that's primarily with other torts.
They are very active, so when your Russian is full grown be prepared to have an enclosure 8'x4' as a minimum size requirement.
The threads I mentioned will state this too but just as a reminder: 1 tort per enclosure is generally the rule, unless you have a lot of space, in which case it's better to have a male & multiple females. But it sounds like you just want one, so that's good.

You can start off your hatchling in a viv, enclosed chamber, or something like that. The main thing with hatchlings is you want high humidity with them.
So whatever you choose needs to be large enough for them (I don't mean 8'x4' for a hatchling) but hold the heat and humidity very well.

There are breeders on the forum here that breed Russians, and I'd trust them before I trust any pet store.
Poor Bettas! :(

Although, while hatchlings are adorable, they can be more work than adult tortoises were to go. Especially for your first tortoise. Just something to think about (that being said, they're just so stinkin cute, I don't know how people can resist them! If I had the room, I'd definitely get a hatchling of some kind).

As for outdoor housing, you can hibernate your tort once it's old enough. But I wouldn't recommend hibernating it outside as temps can fluctuate and cause problems. So you might need a fridge set up for that. IMO, I'd just bring the tort inside for the winter. Less stress on my part! ;)

Hopefully that helps, and I'll try to link those threads for you, but I'm on the iPhone app so it might be a little while. You can always search the beginners mistakes thread, and go under tortoise species and check out Russians.

And, personally, just because you're a beginner and first time tort owner, doesn't mean you have to go for a Russian. There are plenty of first time owners that wind up with a "more difficult" species or a plain different one. So whatever you choose, make sure it's one you like and one you can provide the best possible life for! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Great care sheet for a hatchlings Russian and one for adult Russian under the Russian species section. Read through it and if you still have questions, ask away. We have a few Russian breeders on here and at least one of our members has hatchlings. Best place to buy from is a member of this forum, where all the correct info is given.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Oh and check out the outdoor enclosure thread too! There's plenty of ideas on there.
I don't know if you have any predators in Ohio--animal wise, but if you have raccoons or animals that would eat a tortoise then you'd have to come up with a top for it.
And Russians like to climb and dig, so you'd have to have capped corners and deeply dug in sides.

But if you get a hatchling you shouldn't house it outside all the time from the beginning. A couple hours during the day should be enough outside time. Until your tort is a little bigger and not so "delicate."

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

You need to read the following TFO Guides. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and passed on by many pet stores and, sadly, some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Take your time getting your enclosure set up right. Your tort will be with you for the next 60+ years so getting it right is very important.

Having read the above, don't be afraid to ask questions - do it before you buy. It saves expensive mistakes :)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Hello and welcome to the Tortoise Forum !

I like the note from Sara G. about hatchlings. Undeniably hatchlings are totally adorable. Our big guy was adopted in a year ago so the itty bitty cutesy stage was completely bypassed. For us that worked out for the best. Our monster is kept outdoors and is a self soaker. When we lived in Ohio keeping a great big sulcata tortoise would not have been so easy. Living in Riverside CA is working out great for us and our (new a year ago) giant tortoise.

When I see a hatchling I wanna wanna wanna get one. They really would require more dedication than I might be able to provide. My life is limited to having as many pets as I can care for properly.

This is Sherman.
disk 1 3275.JPG

Self soaker. At least we don't have to pick him up to give him a bath.

This is Shelby. A CA desert tortoise who wandered into our life a few years ago. He is hard to find sometimes but easier to pick up and give him a soak.

March 26 2016 050.JPG

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Welcome Rhawni! Just so you know, you are right... RUSSIANS ARE AWESOME!!! I would recommend getting an older one, not a hatchling. I'm sorry. :( I really wanted a baby too, but they get sick really easy and they need a lot more careful attention. My Russian was four/five inches when I purchased her, and she hasn't been sick a day in her life! (Besides a little constipation). ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are several russian breeders right here on the forum. I have personal experience buying from @Carol S and @kanalomele and I recommend both of them with an A+. I've also talked with @biochemnerd808 a bunch and she starts them right too. @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com also breeds them. Last I heard he had some juveniles in stock too.

Babies are no harder than adults as long as they are set up correctly. They do not get sick really easy. That is an old myth from the days when a lot of babies died because they were started all wrong.

In addition to the two links from Joe's Mum, check out this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Really? Nuts! I could have gotten a baby tortoise!! However, I was slightly afraid because I once bought a baby turtle, and it died the first week. (It was from a bad store, however.) Thanks for the correction! :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Thanks as always @Tom for the kudos and a big welcome to TFO to you Rhawnie! As Tom mentioned I have had Russians for a long time and have a fresh crop of babies every year. But I hold onto them for at least 3-6 months so that I can be confident that they are blazingly healthy before leaving me. I have several actually that I have held back for a year that I am considering letting go. If you have the right breeder then you will have a healthy tort as well as guideance and support throughout the whole process of raising a youngster.