Hi there

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenab

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Helena. I just moved from NH to Arizona and it is soooo hot, lol. I left my beautiful russian tortoise with my best friend, I had him for 10 years and thought the move would really hurt him. He is in a great home and with care and love that he needs. I have a beautiful back yard here in Arizona and am thinking of adopting a tortoise or two. I am in touch with the desert musam and they have many dessert tortoises that need homes. But only one is allowed by law. I was thinking of having many small ones in my yard. So I am not yet sure what I want to do as of yet. One big one or many small ones. I do not want to breed in any way. I would rather just get them in a rescue situation. Any suggestions?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome Helena!

Well I have 4 male Ca Desert Tortoise....each one has their own enclosure (as the boys have issues getting along, they usually don't :rolleyes: )

I suspect if you would like to have a Desert Tortoise, then later find other species you would like also...you simply would have more than one yard/enclosure for each species/males/females, etc.

Desert Tortoise like to dig/muck around in the dirt, like some other tortoise...they like burrows...but you say you owned a Russian Tortoise before, I would imagine you know about digging/burrows.

Well, have fun in your adventure and again, welcome :D

helenab

5 Year Member
thank you so much for the welcome. The lady from the museum said that I could not have any other species of torts even if they were across the yard. Can you put russian torts with others in the same home incloser? I have been reading the posts and wow, learning so much, cant wait to start a home up, lol gonna run to the store soon to start growing plants and the such. Getting so excited just wish mine was here to enjoy it, miss him so much.

helenab

5 Year Member
wow, thank you for the welcomes. So glad I joined, I think the house work will never get done now, lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Helena:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You could portion off a couple sections of the yard and take in a desert tortoise for one section, then get some Russians for another section. It would give you something to do, making the habitats friendly to the eye, plus comfortable for the tortoises. Its been said before here on the forum, you can't just have one (like potato chips).

helenab

5 Year Member
that would be cool, i would not be able to help out with the museums dessert torts then, they will not allow any other species nor will they allow more then one dessert tort, I guess the law here is just one. So not sure which way I will go. I would have my yard filled if I could. lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you sure they mean that you can't have any other species on the property or maybe do they mean you can't keep other species in the same habitat as your adopted desert tortoise? Most of us go with the thinking of the second option. All species in their own, separate habitat.

helenab

5 Year Member
I asked her if I could keep russians on the other side of the yard and she told me no, she even asked me twice if I had any other breeds. I believe she said because of diseases each breed could carry. I would not mix up a larger size with small ones. Not even sure if you can mix up different small ones together in the same area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm....weird. I have never heard of such a thing? I wonder if the person you talked to maybe was confused? I know that in AZ they only allow one Desert Tortoise adoption per household.....well suppose you could start out with a Desert Tortoise and "someday" stumble upon others at a later time ....of course in totally different enclosures... or not :D

helenab

5 Year Member
she will be sending me some info and I will check it out. And I will ask her again. I know that I could not just have one for the rest of my life that would be crazy for me to think that would be possible, some one may need a home for some smaller torts, lol. Thank you all for your input. I will keep you all posted on what is happening. I still have things to do to prepare.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Is it possible to have your Russian overnight shipped to you? AZ would be a fine place for him as long as he had somewhere to escape the heat.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi and welcome! I'm sure you'll learn tons here. Good luck with adopting.

helenab

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the hellos. You guys are so great. My boyfriend and I decided that we could never stop with just one tort and the rules of adopting a desert tort is only one and no other torts allowed. So we decided to get a leopard and 2 russian. Baby boy, my russian that stayed in NH is very happy and content, although I miss him so much (had him for 10 years) I know that he is well off where he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.