Hi. Newbie saying hello

brendaed

Hi from the UK. We welcomed Brenda into our home on Monday and is doing brilliantly - she is 4 months old and gorgeous.. Will be getting another one in a few months.. Am addicted already! Will pop a pic on. Anyone else from UK? Rubbish weather and would like to know outside stories/advice xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just so you know...tortoises do better singly. They are not herd animals and prefer to be alone.

brendaed

Maybe I will think again about another one then. The breeder told me they enjoy company so was feeling guilty at having her on her own.. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe I will think again about another one then. The breeder told me they enjoy company so was feeling guilty at having her on her own.. Thanks

Sounds like the breeder wants to sell another tortoise. He/she should know better.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What a looker. He will be very happy being a lone as you've heard. He needs humidity to prevent pyramiding. Tom's threads above will give you all the info to get you going. Welcome to the forum by the way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Your leopard is beautiful. Not hard falling for them, they are fantastic. Yours is slightly pyramided, so the sooner you get that humidity up, like in Toms threads, the faster you will get the new growth growing smooth.

brendaed

Thanks everyone. Am going to look at humidity thing today.. Feels a little daunting ! I think I will need to change substrate.. She has a shop bought soil mix (breeder is using) and it is slightly dampened.. So think I need to go get a humidity reader and see

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
hi, welcome. i'm in the uk too. you will probably notice a lot of keepers in the uk are way behind the times and stuck in the old ways of housing torts. The best most up to date info is here on the forum. you can find the digital humidity meters on ebay cheaper than any where els.

brendaed

Thanks Jeff.. Yes all the research I did I read nothing about humidity, vivs were a no no... And thought I had it all sussed! Seems I was wrong.

brendaed

Quick question... I am growing. Weeds, grasses, cactus - anything I am missing? Also can they eat carnation flowers??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi brendaed, I'm in the UK too and only had a leopard since last July so still very much a novice myself. There are some fantastic people on here who really know what they're talking about and unlike the sellers of torts in shops they only have the health and well being of the torts at heart. So follow their advice and all should be fine for you and your new addition. They will answer all your questions no matter how daft you think it is.

With regards food there's a fantastic website called the Tortoise Table which will tell you what is safe or not to feed with pics to ID plants. I'm sure I've heard that carnations are toxic to torts but you can check that on the TT. Also you have to make sure that weeds, plants or flowers and their soils have not been treated with chemicals etc. so you're doing the right thing growing your own.

I'm sure some with far more experience will be along to help you soon. Good luck to you and your lovely leopard.