Hi new hopefully soon to be tort owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisefreak1

5 Year Member
Hi im Ben from Akron,Oh and i was planning to get a russian tortoise in the near future.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Ben and welcome! Did I read on another thread, that this is your first tortoise? That your thinking of a captive bred youngster?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoisefreak1 said:
Yeah you read right!How many and what species are your torts?

:D:D I ran out of fingers and toes to count them all. :D Seriously I don't know the total. I would have to sit down and add the groups together. Some of what I have are Hingebacks (Erosa, Homes, Bells, and Speki), Russians, Redfoot/cheryheads, Leopards, Stars, emys emys, Greeks, Hermanns, box turtles and sulcata. :rolleyes:

tortoisefreak1

5 Year Member
Great choices! Do you house them in outdoor pens or indoor in tortoise tables, cattle tanks, etc.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! Russians are good tortoises. Do you have any tortoise experience?

tortoisefreak1

5 Year Member
No but I own a bearded dragon(Ares), a leopard gecko ( apollo), and a corn snake (kenny).

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoisefreak1 said:
Great choices! Do you house them in outdoor pens or indoor in tortoise tables, cattle tanks, etc.?

During the warm weather, I house mine outside. Cold weather brings them inside to various sheep tanks and aquariums.

tortoisefreak1 said:
No but I own a bearded dragon(Ares), a leopard gecko ( apollo), and a corn snake (kenny).

Nice assortment!

tortoisefreak1

5 Year Member
How do you make use of aquariums because I have heard they are bad for tortoises for many reasons?

Thanks i tried to go for beautiful, easy to care for animals.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My opinion is, it depends what species and age of tortoise your trying to place in an aquarium, the dimensions of the tank, too. I house almost all my youngsters in tanks... majority are 40 gal breeders. I like being able to watch the babies and helps keep them more humid.

These are some examples:

Bells hingeback hatchlings in here:
004-2-1.jpg

Cherryheads in here:
041-2.jpg

ffion13

5 Year Member
Wales
Jacqui said:
My opinion is, it depends what species and age of tortoise your trying to place in an aquarium, the dimensions of the tank, too. I house almost all my youngsters in tanks... majority are 40 gal breeders. I like being able to watch the babies and helps keep them more humid.

These are some examples:

Bells hingeback hatchlings in here:

Cherryheads in here:

Hi jacqui, I was just wondering what the use was of the little stones in the water bowl was? My tortoise would probably try to eat them, or are they just for decoration?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ffion13 said:
Hi jacqui, I was just wondering what the use was of the little stones in the water bowl was? My tortoise would probably try to eat them, or are they just for decoration?

They do serve to be decorative, but also to give added traction and ease of getting out. Perhaps you could think of them as training wheels on a bike. Once the guys were use to their fish, the rocks slowly were removed. This size rock was safe for this size tortoise.

ffion13

5 Year Member
Wales
Jacqui said:
They do serve to be decorative, but also to give added traction and ease of getting out. Perhaps you could think of them as training wheels on a bike. Once the guys were use to their fish, the rocks slowly were removed. This size rock was safe for this size tortoise.

Ah I see, that's a really good idea, I think I might try it out as I'm always worried about him getting stuck in the bath haha

Status
Not open for further replies.