Hi new Hermanns owner and worried

sameeel

After reading some of these threads I fear I've made a terrible mistake. I have bought a male and female and they are 16months old. They are living in same table 4ft by 3ft... They seem to get on well, though the male a little lazier than the female but after reading on here that having them together is a bad idea. Will they start fighting, I don't want one to pester the other to death...

The man at the reptile shop said it was best to get two as company..

Any help would be most appreciated..

Thanks in advance
Sam

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Unfortunately the pet stores give bad info. It's sad they care more about money then a living thing.
Yes, if you truly have a male and female they will have to be separated. The male will pester her to illness or death when they get into breeding age. However, did the pet store tell you the sex of them? Cuz 16 months is way too young to sex. I would keep a very close eye on them and be prepared to seperate them. Two usually is not a good thing, they just don't do well in pairs. Also, the 4x3 is too small for two. Another thing the pet store may have done is sell you a coil/CFL bulb. They have been known to damage tortoises eyes. If that's what your using and haven't had any problems with their eyes, then you may be a lucky one, but if you are using that kind of bulb, the first sign of eye problems, replace it with a flourescnt or mvb.
Posting pics of your torts under sides, tail area we might be able to tell you the sex they are looking now, keep in mind though that could change and of the enclosure, we can help you tweak what the pet store might have told you that is not right.

sameeel

Hi Wellington, ..... Thankyou for replying..! I'm really grateful :)
I've added ( if I've done correctly) a picture of lamp, tortoise tails and set up so any advice help, etc would be most appreciated..ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444848092.771980.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444848109.600831.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444848123.043993.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444848134.019790.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444848150.057445.jpg

Again, many thanks
Sam

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam, and welcome to the Forum!

They may be too small yet to tell the sex for sure, but right now they both look female to me.

Is it a good idea to keep tortoises in pairs? No, not in my opinion. You can get by with it if your habitat is large and well-planted. And you must always be aware of what's going on with them. You don't always see any overt action, but intimidation takes may

Always be working towards making them a large outdoor habitat for when the weather is good.

sameeel

Hi Yvonne... Thankyou for your reply..
Yes my hubby is going to fix up an outdoor home for them too... But will probably be spring as the weather is really turning now.
Do,you know how long (hrs per day) I need to keep the basking lamp lit? I'm guessing around 12 hours but don't want to over/under do it.