Hi, I'm Larry

Larry Ninset

Location (City and/or State)
Vista, CA
Hi Everyone;

My name's Larry. I don't yet have a tortoise or turtle, and before I decide on what species, I've decided to join and see what everyone is talking about on various subjects, and see what kinds of turtles and tortoises there are. I'd like to learn how take care of one first. Thank you all in advance.

Larry

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Larry, I'm Adam!
Tis a great idea to do the research first, of course, sadly so many people don't.
Have a look at our species specific section, get an idea of the needs of each type and see what you like, have room for, could care for etc. and don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have, as there are always people willing to help!
Welcome to TFO from Morocco! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Hi Larry! Do you have an other brother Larry and an other brother Larry? (That's what always runs through my mind when someone says they're Larry)

Last edited:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Welcome Larry! What size do you think you will be looking at? Some things to consider...Most tortoises at full-grown need at least a 4 by 8 enclosure.... Most hatchlings are hard to take care of for a beginner... Different species have different personalities...some hibernate some don't.....some get real big some don't.... Some are vegetarians and some aren't... Some are easy to take care of and some are not.... And they're not good in pairs.

When I was looking for my first tortoise I did not consider those things... Really the only thing I was considering was adult overall size, friendliness and whether or not they dug holes. Then I got a PAIR of HATCHLINGS.

I hear box turtles are very personable, so are the Burmese mountain tortoises (the blacks and the Browns), Russians(horsfeldi) are pretty outgoing but they're Escape artists, sulcatas make good pets but they get big and they dig holes, and pancakes aren't very sociable....That's what I've heard.

Read to your heart's content and make a checklist of all you are wanting out of your tortoise. Ask opinions on each species... there are so many people here willing to help.

Larry Ninset

Vista, CA
Hi, Larry, I'm Adam!
Tis a great idea to do the research first, of course, sadly so many people don't.
Have a look at our species specific section, get an idea of the needs of each type and see what you like, have room for, could care for etc. and don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have, as there are always people willing to help!
Welcome to TFO from Morocco! :)

Thank you, friend, I sure will :)

Larry Ninset

Vista, CA
Welcome Larry! What size do you think you will be looking at? Some things to consider...Most tortoises at full-grown need at least a 4 by 8 enclosure.... Most hatchlings are hard to take care of for a beginner... Different species have different personalities...some hibernate some don't.....some get real big some don't.... Some are vegetarians and some aren't... Some are easy to take care of and some are not.... And they're not good in pairs.

When I was looking for my first tortoise I did not consider those things... Really the only thing I was considering was adult overall size, friendliness and whether or not they dug holes. Then I got a PAIR of HATCHLINGS.

I hear box turtles are very personable, so are the Burmese mountain tortoises (the blacks and the Browns), Russians(horsfeldi) are pretty outgoing but they're Escape artists, sulcatas make good pets but they get big and they dig holes, and pancakes aren't very sociable....That's what I've heard.

Read to your heart's content and make a checklist of all you are wanting out of your tortoise. Ask opinions on each species... there are so many people here willing to help.

Hi Teresa; I am steering more towards a tortoise now. Guess I would enjoy a friendly one, not too big when it's an adult. Thank you for your welcome and advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah geez! Re-reading this thread, I realize it was Darryl and not Larry. "Hi, I'm Darryl and this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" (From the Bob Newhart Show). I guess old age really is setting in. Please excuse the ramblings of an old lady.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Ah geez! Re-reading this thread, I realize it was Darryl and not Larry. "Hi, I'm Darryl and this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" (From the Bob Newhart Show). I guess old age really is setting in. Please excuse the ramblings of an old lady.
I didn't even catch that! Hahaha. Sounded right to me! Lol. Still sounds better with Larry.

Larry Ninset

Vista, CA
Welcome Larry, it’s good to see someone who actually does their research before, and not after, getting a tortoise!

Thank you, Rosemary. There are so many species of chelonians, and each has their own requirements as far as humidity, temperature, and diet. And that's just for starters.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you, Rosemary. There are so many species of chelonians, and each has their own requirements as far as humidity, temperature, and diet. And that's just for starters.

Indeed. We’d never had gotten one had she not shown up in the street! Had she not been easily adaptable to living outside here, we would have given her to a rescue. :eek:

Love her but the correct setup for so many is no joke!