hi im a new-er owner and new to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensie

5 Year Member
I have two sulcatas. One is just a baby(about 10 or so months) the other i recently adopted and he/she is only about five. I'm in the middle of expanding their indoor enclosure ( i'm redoing an entire room for them). Since I live in Ohio the winters aren't the best but i grow my own grasses inside for the winter and then i take them outside to "play" in summertime. When i adopted my older one (squirtle) he/she had a little bit of pyramiding going on but its starting to look a lot better and my baby(blair) has no signs of pyramiding and i'm hoping he/she stays that way! I could really use advise on how i can make their enclosure awesomer and better for them. The pics arent the best because all of my pictures are on my phone but there are my babys.:)

Attachments

• IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
:tort: WELCOME! :tort:

I only seen the pic of your older baby-so precious!

Might I suggest using a different substrate for him? Like coco coir or sphagnum peat moss or hay?

Also, could you tell me how you are growing grasses in your house? I am prepping for my sully's winter diet :)

kensie

5 Year Member
Im planning on switching it up when I make their new enclosure. Im just looking for a really good substrate.I actually grow it in my side yard during the spring and summer in a planting box that I move to my garage when it starts to get colder and I just kinda pick it every now and then for them. They seem to enjoy it! there is a picture of my babies playing outside. :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1375539351.106023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, and welcome. Your sully looks awesome. I'd love to see the baby too. Here on the forum is a section devoted solely to enclosures. You may want to check it out. We have a member here, Tom, who is an expert on sulcatas, among other things. Look under his user name for all the care sheets on preventing pyramiding. He also built an outdoor enclosure that's awesome. He can give you many ideas. Btw, please read his thread under my name for some vital information on "other" animals that can hurt your sullies. It's a must read.

The baby is soooo precious!!!

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
kensie said:
Im planning on switching it up when I make their new enclosure. Im just looking for a really good substrate.I actually grow it in my side yard during the spring and summer in a planting box that I move to my garage when it starts to get colder and I just kinda pick it every now and then for them. They seem to enjoy it! there is a picture of my babies playing outside. :)

OOH! I absolutely love that picture! Almost too much cuteness to handle :D

Thanks for letting me know on the grasses :)

kensie

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375539823.797658.jpg. Here's my little guy trying to tackle our long grass. And thanks for all the welcomes!

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My goodness...what a beautiful carapace! He's so smooth looking. What have you been doing to keep his shell so smooth?

kensie

5 Year Member
Thank you! I haven't been doing anything. It amazes me how smooth it is. He's been like that since I got him.

kensie

5 Year Member
I will put some up later .. Today I am running all over to buy climbing rocks and water dishes for them so hopefully it will look awesome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.