Hi how can I get help for my sulcata he has shell problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alginonlfc

5 Year Member
Hi how can I get help for my sulcata he has she'll problems

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587147.293176.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587164.663265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alginonlfc

5 Year Member
My sulcata has shell problems

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my sulcata tortoise he has a problem wid his shellImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587595.318094.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587615.702112.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587636.555573.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364587653.688437.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Hi how can I get help for my sulcata he has she'll problems

You've asked how can you get help. The simple answer is to try to find a good tortoise vet and take the tortoise to see the vet.

What you are looking at on the shell of that tortoise is an injury that has killed that section of bone. The scute (keratin) will fall off and the white, dead bone underneath will show like that for over a year while new keratin and bone grow underneath it.

If YOU don't know how this injury occurred, then all we can do is guess, because we don't know either. But I've seen it quite often on the top section of scutes because the light was hanging down to low and it burned the tortoise's back.

Your tortoise's injury looks like it may be on the side, so I can't imagine how it could have happened. There's really nothing you can do for it, but if you take the tortoise to a vet, he might see something that we can't see in the picture. Maybe there's a fungus growing. Only a vet can tell you for sure.

alginonlfc

5 Year Member
No that part if the shell had become detached and the vet took some as a sample and sent it off, but found no problem? He lives in a shed outside with straw as his bedding, he has a hanging light to keep warm, he always seems dusty an u try to spray him with f10 to keep him clean? Is he to dry? Does he need more humidity? And what is the glue looking substance inbetween the cutes? ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364590397.981348.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364590411.622539.jpg the vet was not much help just expensive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The glue looking substance is weeping from the tissue dying. That space is were new growth happens. The injury or burn or fungus or whatever it is caused the new growth to die. It is similar to when you pick a scab and instead of bleeding it weeps a serum-type fluid.

If your vet didn't give you any help, first aid type or otherwise, I think you need to see another vet. After seeing the other set of pictures that you posted in a different thread and that I merged into this thread, I see that almost the whole carapace is involved. This is no minor injury. It is a pretty big deal. The tortoise definitely needs to see a tortoise-qualified vet for help. Antibiotics, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.