Hi, from the Midwest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I'm really glad I've found this site. My family and I recently rescued a Russian tortoise. We believe it's a female. Her official name is Concha (shell in Spanish). We have a lot of different nicknames for her though, depending on her mood! Like a lot of other people here, my house is much like a zoo too! My family has 2 dogs (dacshunds), a saltwater fishtank, and now a Russian tortoise! I have had many other types of pets as well, almost everything under the sun! I've done a lot of research on tortoises, both online and in books. Any hints would be much appreciated though!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "Tortoisesrock":

(May we know your name?)

913899yyvvqim3wk.gif
to the forum!!

Russians are great little tortoises. Read through this care sheet and if you have any specific questions we'll be happy to answer them for you:

http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! If you have any specific questions, we'd be glad to help you. Kinda hard to give hints though. I am a strong believer in getting animals checked out by a vet (including a fecal test for parasites), so if I had to give one piece of advice, that would be it. Torts tend to hide symptoms until it is literally too late to save them. Spending $70 or whatever gives a lot of peace of mind. What type of set up do you currently have? Any pictures? We love pictures! Best wishes.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
The name's Taylor! Right now we have her in a big container, like a Rubbermaid (that may sound bad, I'll try to explain, It's pretty large, it's not like a tupperware for food or anything, it's like the ones people put all their Christmas stuff in, and we never put the top on it). We've only had her for about a month, and that's what she came in when we rescued her. Now that the weather is nice here, we've been letting her roam outside, under our supervision of course! She absolutely loves that. As for pictures, I have a few I took today outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 12

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Haha, I'm glad I found this site, I was looking at pics on how to tell the gender and now I believe I have a boy tortoise :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hey, no fair!

I've already seen these "beak" photos! :rolleyes:

We have a "rule" here at the forum that newbies must post at least 5 photos of their pets, preferably close-ups, as well as 2-3 of the tortoise's enclosure, so everyone here can "oooo" and "aawww" and "cootchy, cootchy coo!" over the new Chelonian member. It's true! Just ask Yvonne....;)

Now ante up! :p

Congratulations on your acquisition of Concha, and welcome to the forum! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Where in the midwest are you from?

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes everyone, I'll take some more pics and post a bunch! Also, the poor guy must have been so confused. We were told it was a girl, but now I'm pretty sure it's a BOY!? haha :) He acquired a new name now, FRANKLIN! After the turtle/tortoise from the kids show. I'll be back posting pics asap!

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Ok here's some more pics! Most were taken while the lil one was roaming the yard. I have a few pictures of the lil one's cute bum lol this is if anyone wants to help confirm a gender. From what I've seen on this site, I now believe I have a male. If so, a name change may be in order, from Concha, which is feminine, to Franklin! I'm a bit embarassed of the enclosure , it's absolutely nothing compared to pics I've seen here! It's what the lil one came with when we rescued it! I'm working on some plans to really shnazz it up and make a better one.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 7

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yes, what you have there is a male Russian tortoise. :) Welcome to the forum. Keep us updated on enclosure progress! That's my favorite part of getting a new animal. I love setting up habitats.

Status
Not open for further replies.