hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee11

5 Year Member
hi im new and i have a few questions i am after a tortoise but have a few worries about getting one i want a breed that will not be big in size when reaches adult im also a bit worried about the whole hibernation process is there tortoises that dont hibernate anyone with any info at all woulld be greatly recieved

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
You will find many posts about good beginner tortoises that stay small. I recommend a Hermanns, a Greek, or a Russian. There is NO tortoise that HAS to hibernate when kept in captivity. Those that hibernate in their natural environment can be kept without hibernating in captivty with our any issues.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO :) What is your name an where are you from ??:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dee11:

Welcome to the forum!!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Hi and welcome... I believe if you take the advice of the knowledgable folks on this site, you will be able to pick the perfect Tort.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another suggestion for one of the European species...hardy, stay small, long-lived and generally have fun, out-going personalities.

I favor Hermann's tortoises, but the various Greeks, the Marginated and the Russians are great, too, and none are appreciably expensive to buy.

And, welcome! :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! What do you consider "big"? Any other limiting factors we should know about? Like what size area will this animal be living in? Are you wanting one which might live more closely with your own home's temps and lighting or is it okay to increase your electric bill just a little? Do you want "easy" or one that may take a bit more work, but perhaps you enjoy challenges more?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
emysemys said:
Hi Dee11:

Welcome to the forum!!

Welcome Dee and Welcome back Yvonne...how was your trip?

dee11

5 Year Member
thankyou very much for all your replies im from the uk whats best to keep a tortoise in ive heard people dont favour vivs idont mind using extra electric just worried about the temps dont want to fry him or her i want to make sure its looked after properly i feel loads better now i know they dont need hibernating ive been looking at horsefields what do you think thanks again for your replies

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
There is no set standard on what to use, right now I have my hatchling in a large cement mixing tub, but he will be moving into a large aquarium so I can better control the humidity...

You should go with what works best for you and your tort

dee11

5 Year Member
ok so do they need the extra heating and lighting then or are they ok without it

Status
Not open for further replies.