baby tortoise choking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsmen

5 Year Member
Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

Hi there, please help! My Sulcatas name is Lincoln, he's about a year old. I just recieved him about a month ago. Moments ago I noticed Link continually stretching his neck out and opening his mouth. When he opens his mouth I can see a small piece of hay or something similar caught in his mouth. There is also some foam around his mouth! Im freaking out and every veterinarian and reptile store around says they can't help. I THINK HE'S CHOKING! I dont know how to open his mouth and im too afraid of injuring him by forcing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Welcome! What do you need help with? Your post is empty.

Sara198

5 Year Member
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

If I was you and your able to see whats in the back of his mouth see if your able to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Maybe get a flashlight and coax his mouth open with a stick or something. Then you can see what's inside. If there is something and it appears easy to remove, gently grab it with some tweezers. If it weeks to be stuck, do not force it to come out! it could become more deeply lodged or it could be caught and punctured his throat...call an experienced tortoise vet for their opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

I know its hard with a very small tortoise, but you must try. Get something with a thin edge, like an orange stick (tool used in manicures). Grasping the baby's head with one hand with your index finger and thumb right behind the jaws, gently pry open the mouth with the other hand. Then take the tweezers and try to pull out the hay or whatever is stuck in there.

Just a side note ... baby tortoises usually don't eat hay. They have a hard time biting off pieces (as you have found out). Greens, weeds and fresh grass, cut up small, is fine for food.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How is Lincoln now? Were you able to get
it out of his throat? I sure hope he is ok!! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.