Hi all! My name is Rae and my little girl is Tasha.

Raezofsunlight

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I noticed that her skin on the back of her neck is peeling and I've never seen this happen. I rescued her in town about almost a year ago. So any history is unknown. I took her to the pet store and she's a Russian Tortoise. I know it's common for them to shed little bits at a time but this looks like most of the back of her neck. I'm praying that everyone tells me that she's fine and it looks normal! ? I can try to get a video if the pictures don't show it enough.

20210204_194021.jpg20210204_194017.jpg20210204_193919.jpg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Hi!

Are you giving this tortoise any supplements? This can happen when giving too much vitamin A. They already get lots of it in their diet, so they don't need any extra.

Raezofsunlight

Michigan
Hi!

Are you giving this tortoise any supplements? This can happen when giving too much vitamin A. They already get lots of it in their diet, so they don't need any extra.
No, I don't give her any supplements at all. I give her spring mix daily except two days a week. Some bananas and/or grapes couple times a week. I just noticed white powder stuff too that I've seen before months ago but didn't pay much attention to it.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Looking at it again, it looks like normal shedding.

The vitamin A thing is much deeper and comes off in a thicker layer.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Raezofsunlight

Michigan
Looking at it again, it looks like normal shedding.

The vitamin A thing is much deeper and comes off in a thicker layer.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thank goodness. She also poops in her water and then she tries drinking it. Is this normal? Safe? She might have just been dipping her face in the water but I immediately dump it and then she never wants anything to do with it. She's so weird!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The white stuff is most likely where she peed and the 'urates' came out. Basically uric acid and other minerals filtered by the kidneys are excreted out.

Changing the water after she poops is a good idea.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello!

I agree that the skin is normal shedding. However, the location of it is right where the shell rubs the skin when she pulls her head in. So just watch and if any redness or sore spot develops, the edge of her shell can be gently filed.

There are some improvements to be made in her diet. She needs lots more variety to eat in addition to spring mix. At the end of this post I will link to a very good up-to-date care sheet. There are diet suggestions in it. I'll also put a very long list of foods for tortoises.

The members here on the forum recommend feeding every day. There is no benefit to depriving her of food 2 days a week. She should be given a pile of good foods about the same size as she is every day. Leave it in the enclosure til lights out at night. If it's all gone, give slightly more the next day. You want a little bit left over after the whole day is done.

She also really should not have any fruit. Torts are not able to process sugars in their digestive system.

Compiled by Tom:
Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium.

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Ones that you can buy in every store:
Arugula
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
Kale
Mustard greens
Organic kohlrabi leafs
Organic carrot leafs
Organic radish leafs
Dandelions
Radiccio

Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.
Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!

Feeding:
So much contradictory info on this subject. Its simple. What do they eat in the wild. Grass, weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents. Feed them a huge variety of these things, and you'll have a healthy tortoise. All of these species are very adaptable when it comes to diet and there is a very large margin of error, and many ways to do it right. What if you don't have this sort of "natural" tortoise food available for part of each year because you are in the snow? You will have no choice but to buy grocery store food. What's wrong with grocery store food? It tends to lack fiber, some items are low in calcium or have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio, and some items have deleterious compounds in them. All of these short comings can be improved with some simple supplementation and amendments. A pinch of calcium two times per week will help fix that problem. You can also leave cuttle bone in the enclosure, so your tortoise can self-regulate its own calcium intake. What about fiber? Soaked horse hay pellets, soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets, Mazuri tortoise chow, "Salad style", "Herbal Hay" both from @TylerStewart and his lovely wife Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com, or many of the dried plants and leaves available from Will @Kapidolo Farms. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole as your main staples. Add in arugula, cilantro, kale, collard, mustard and turnip greens, squash leaves, spring mix, romaine, green or red leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, water cress, carrot tops, celery tops, bok choy, and whatever other greens you can find. If you mix in some of the aforementioned amendments, these grocery store foods will offer plenty of variety and fiber and be able to meet your tortoises nutritional needs just fine. I find it preferable to grab a few grapevine or mulberry leaves, or a handful of mallow and clover, or some broadleaf plantain leaves and some grass, but with the right additions, grocery store stuff is fine too. Grow your own stuff, or find it around you when possible. Tyler and Sarah also sell a fantastic Testudo seed mix that is great for ALL tortoise species and also super easy to grow in pots, trays, raised garden beds, or in outdoor tortoise enclosures. When that isn't possible, add a wide variety of good stuff to your grocery store greens to make them better.

Supplements:
I recommend you keep cuttle bone available all the time. Some never use it and some munch on it regularly. Some of mine will go months without touching it, and then suddenly eat the whole thing in a day or two. Sulcatas and leopards grow a lot. This requires a tremendous amount of calcium assimilation over time. A great diet is paramount, but it is still a good idea to give them some extra calcium regularly. I use a tiny pinch of RepCal or ZooMed plain old calcium carbonate twice a week. Much discussion has been given to whether or not they need D3 in their calcium supplement. Personally, I don't think it matters. Every tortoise should be getting adequate UV exposure one way or another, so they should be able to make their own D3. I also like to use a mineral supplement. "MinerAll" is my current brand of choice. It seems to help those tortoises that like to swallow pebbles and rocks. It is speculated that some tortoise eat rocks or substrate due to a mineral deficiency or imbalance. Whatever the reason, "MinerAll" seems to stop it or prevent it. Finally, I like to use a reptile vitamin supplement once a week, to round out any hidden deficiencies that may be in my diet over the course of a year.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Again with the not feeding 2 days a week? Where is this idea from?

Also, Bananas and Grapes are not suitable for a russian tort at all, . They are two of the highest sugar containing fruits. If you want to treat an occasional fruit, a couple times a month max, you can feed strawberry or blueberry, both are high fibre and low sugar and calorie density.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed that her skin on the back of her neck is peeling and I've never seen this happen. I rescued her in town about almost a year ago. So any history is unknown. I took her to the pet store and she's a Russian Tortoise. I know it's common for them to shed little bits at a time but this looks like most of the back of her neck. I'm praying that everyone tells me that she's fine and it looks normal! ? I can try to get a video if the pictures don't show it enough.
The skin looks normal, and there is some new growth on the carapace which is also a good indicator of health.

More soaks will help ensure good hydration.

Good tips from Yossarian and Karen. :)

Raezofsunlight

Michigan
Hello!

I agree that the skin is normal shedding. However, the location of it is right where the shell rubs the skin when she pulls her head in. So just watch and if any redness or sore spot develops, the edge of her shell can be gently filed.

There are some improvements to be made in her diet. She needs lots more variety to eat in addition to spring mix. At the end of this post I will link to a very good up-to-date care sheet. There are diet suggestions in it. I'll also put a very long list of foods for tortoises.

The members here on the forum recommend feeding every day. There is no benefit to depriving her of food 2 days a week. She should be given a pile of good foods about the same size as she is every day. Leave it in the enclosure til lights out at night. If it's all gone, give slightly more the next day. You want a little bit left over after the whole day is done.

She also really should not have any fruit. Torts are not able to process sugars in their digestive system.

Compiled by Tom:
Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium.

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Ones that you can buy in every store:
Arugula
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
Kale
Mustard greens
Organic kohlrabi leafs
Organic carrot leafs
Organic radish leafs
Dandelions
Radiccio

Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.
Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!

Feeding:
So much contradictory info on this subject. Its simple. What do they eat in the wild. Grass, weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents. Feed them a huge variety of these things, and you'll have a healthy tortoise. All of these species are very adaptable when it comes to diet and there is a very large margin of error, and many ways to do it right. What if you don't have this sort of "natural" tortoise food available for part of each year because you are in the snow? You will have no choice but to buy grocery store food. What's wrong with grocery store food? It tends to lack fiber, some items are low in calcium or have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio, and some items have deleterious compounds in them. All of these short comings can be improved with some simple supplementation and amendments. A pinch of calcium two times per week will help fix that problem. You can also leave cuttle bone in the enclosure, so your tortoise can self-regulate its own calcium intake. What about fiber? Soaked horse hay pellets, soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets, Mazuri tortoise chow, "Salad style", "Herbal Hay" both from @TylerStewart and his lovely wife Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com, or many of the dried plants and leaves available from Will @Kapidolo Farms. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole as your main staples. Add in arugula, cilantro, kale, collard, mustard and turnip greens, squash leaves, spring mix, romaine, green or red leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, water cress, carrot tops, celery tops, bok choy, and whatever other greens you can find. If you mix in some of the aforementioned amendments, these grocery store foods will offer plenty of variety and fiber and be able to meet your tortoises nutritional needs just fine. I find it preferable to grab a few grapevine or mulberry leaves, or a handful of mallow and clover, or some broadleaf plantain leaves and some grass, but with the right additions, grocery store stuff is fine too. Grow your own stuff, or find it around you when possible. Tyler and Sarah also sell a fantastic Testudo seed mix that is great for ALL tortoise species and also super easy to grow in pots, trays, raised garden beds, or in outdoor tortoise enclosures. When that isn't possible, add a wide variety of good stuff to your grocery store greens to make them better.

Supplements:
I recommend you keep cuttle bone available all the time. Some never use it and some munch on it regularly. Some of mine will go months without touching it, and then suddenly eat the whole thing in a day or two. Sulcatas and leopards grow a lot. This requires a tremendous amount of calcium assimilation over time. A great diet is paramount, but it is still a good idea to give them some extra calcium regularly. I use a tiny pinch of RepCal or ZooMed plain old calcium carbonate twice a week. Much discussion has been given to whether or not they need D3 in their calcium supplement. Personally, I don't think it matters. Every tortoise should be getting adequate UV exposure one way or another, so they should be able to make their own D3. I also like to use a mineral supplement. "MinerAll" is my current brand of choice. It seems to help those tortoises that like to swallow pebbles and rocks. It is speculated that some tortoise eat rocks or substrate due to a mineral deficiency or imbalance. Whatever the reason, "MinerAll" seems to stop it or prevent it. Finally, I like to use a reptile vitamin supplement once a week, to round out any hidden deficiencies that may be in my diet over the course of a year.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely plant some stuff for her come spring. I live in Michigan so it's not possible right now lol I'll definitely get her some supplements. I truly appreciate the help! I wasn't told any of that but spring mix. I tried researching on the internet but I wasn't sure what was true. Go figure! It's the internet! ?

Raezofsunlight

Michigan
Again with the not feeding 2 days a week? Where is this idea from?

Also, Bananas and Grapes are not suitable for a russian tort at all, . They are two of the highest sugar containing fruits. If you want to treat an occasional fruit, a couple times a month max, you can feed strawberry or blueberry, both are high fibre and low sugar and calorie density.
I'll definitely stop not feeding her two days a week. It was what was said on the internet! I definitely didn't know about the grapes and bananas. She just liked them so much! Once a week or so I would give her a tiny little bit of one or the other. But if it's bad for her I'll stop and try the strawberry and blueberry. Thank you so much! ☺

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank goodness. She also poops in her water and then she tries drinking it. Is this normal? Safe? She might have just been dipping her face in the water but I immediately dump it and then she never wants anything to do with it. She's so weird!
No she's not weird, she is a normal tortoise who does not drink while being watched. She drinks from one end and pees from the other. If she drinks right away any dirty water is still behind her.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'll definitely stop not feeding her two days a week. It was what was said on the internet! I definitely didn't know about the grapes and bananas. She just liked them so much! Once a week or so I would give her a tiny little bit of one or the other. But if it's bad for her I'll stop and try the strawberry and blueberry. Thank you so much! ☺
No fruit at all. Their kidneys cannot process sugar the way ours does, sugar is very bad for them.
did you just read this???

Its simple. What do they eat in the wild. Grass, weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents. Feed them a huge variety of these things, and you'll have a healthy tortoise.