Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Perris, Ca.
I'm here doing a bit of research for my birthday present, I'm currently talking my wife into letting me purchase a tortoise. I was looking at buying another tortoise, I had a Russian Tortoise for almost a year when I was younger, until my mom left the door to its pen open and her dog got in, was one of the saddest days I can remember. But after seeing some in Petco the other day I decided it was time to try to open up for one again... Now before I get yelled at let me assure you, after reading these forums I have since decided NOT to buy from petco, and I'm looking for a breeder. I am also looking a getting a Hermanns tortoises, Any advice is welcome, especially which breeder to go with. I plan on keeping the little tort indoors and am heading to the store on payday to start buying the supplies for "its" (don't know if I'll get a boy or girl) new home.

Now a few questions: What do I need to look for? What breeder should I go with? I saw a site that ships them from Las Vegas, Is it safe to ship a tortoise!??! And after reading a few posts, I'm now scared about it having worms, and or parasites, should I be worried?

Wow.. that was a lot more of an intro than I thought it would be, if you're still with me, thank you for taking the time to read this. :D

Oh, Btw. My name is Matt, and I live in Perris, California, NOT France..
No offense to France, I just get asked if I'm in France all the time...:D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Can't help you find a Herman, but wanted to welcome you to the forum!!! Good luck!

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in deciding which (or both) species and finding the right one for you. There are several breeders of both types on this forum. You may want to go to the "for sale" or "adoption" sections and read through those posts. You may also receive some private messages(PMs) from forum breeders. When you say you plan on keeping your tortoise indoors, is that because you plan on getting a hatchling? I'm just wondering because living outdoors (at least part time) is good for tortoise, allows it to get natural sun and to graze....Plus, it can be fun to build and plant an outdoor as well as an indoor enclosure. If you are getting hatchling, then indoors is probably best until its older - but it can still benefit from supervised or protected outdoor time. Have fun!!

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
katesgoey said:
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in deciding which (or both) species and finding the right one for you. There are several breeders of both types on this forum. You may want to go to the "for sale" or "adoption" sections and read through those posts. You may also receive some private messages(PMs) from forum breeders. When you say you plan on keeping your tortoise indoors, is that because you plan on getting a hatchling? I'm just wondering because living outdoors (at least part time) is good for tortoise, allows it to get natural sun and to graze....Plus, it can be fun to build and plant an outdoor as well as an indoor enclosure. If you are getting hatchling, then indoors is probably best until its older - but it can still benefit from supervised or protected outdoor time. Have fun!!

He wont be kept indoors all the time just to sleep at night, I'm outside almost all day so i will have a spot set up in the yard for him where he can chill out and run around while I watch him, there are just a lot of predators where I live, so I doubt I would be able to sleep knowing he was outside.

I'm now calling him a him, because its just easier... lol.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome! Glad to see you are doign your research, and congrats on the decision to go with a captive bred tortoise. I suggest to wait and look for one that is older, more than 6 months or better yet 12 months old. Because hatchlings come out in summer, and many places can't ship this winter, either you need to get a move on it or you may not be able to get one this winter unless it's shipped from a warm place or you go pick it up. Yes, it's safe to ship a tort if the breeder knows how to do it (if they are experienced they should). I searched forums and found a pet store online that was reputable that had got my tort from a breeder. More of a mark up, but another way to go than directly dealing with a breeder if you have a tough time finding one.

With any tort, even captive bred, I suggest getting a vet check up and fecal test for parasites. Peace of mind for under $100 and then you have your tort as an established patient at a vet in case of an emergency. Good to get an experienced set of eyes to look over the tort's general health too. I got a captive bred tort and was shocked to find on a repeat fecal test (some parasites have a life cycle that they escape being seen on a first test) he had a coccidia. I think it's because of shared housing at breeders and such that parasites can happen. In wild caught torts, parasites are almost guaranteed. You don't have to be scared of parasites. Just get the tort tested and treat them if needed. My tort still has his as the first round of antibiotics didn't kill it, and we decided not to put him through another round unless he showed symptoms. With any tortoise, you want to take hand washing precautions as well as cleaning enclosures and cage furnishings with separate cleaning tools (brush or whatever) than your dishes. That said, there is almost no risk of you catching anything from a tort.

When the tort is older you can make a screened in outdoor enclosure with a dug-in fence and the tort will be 99.9% safe if you do it right. Use something like hardware cloth so nothing can get in but the UVB rays still can. It's silly to have good weather but not have the tort outside! I would not just let a tort run around a yard, even supervised. They need an enclosure which they feel safe, with hides (in an open space a hatchling will run looking for a place to hide), and not such a huge amount of space. If they live in a "small" indoor enclosure and then you let them run in a huge area, they will then not ever be happy again in the "small" enclosure. Also, torts are notorious for getting into trouble when you turn around for a second or two. Do you have a chemical free yard? This is important if you will let your tort out on it. No pesticides/fertilizers. Also, I recommend only feeding organic greens. Lots of people grow weeds and greens for their tortoise in their yards, or even in pots/trays. You can buy special mixes of seeds online, or make your own mix from seeds from garden centers or online. See what is available in your local supermarket and plan what you can feed the tortoise.

Do you have any other pets?

Torts take a lot of money. Seriously have at least $500 put aside for the tort, vet, enclosure, etc. You also want an emergency fund and to know how much would be your top amount you could spend to save the tort's life. Sad, but something you want to have in mind in my opinion.

I also agree to look for a tort to adopt. Lots of people have to give up their torts, and sadly many people do not take care of them well. You can spend the money you would have spent on an expensive captive bred tort to instead treat any health problems, and have a great pet. You can also find ones that are slightly older. Torts live so long that even if they are 5-10 years old, that is just the beginning of their life! Hatchlings are very fragile and tough for even experienced keepers. Even though my hatchling is happy and healthy, I regret getting such a little guy. I did months of research and still messed some stuff up.

May I ask why you are set on getting a Hermanns?

My best advice is to have everything set up before you get a tort, do a lot of research, and ask away here on the forum. Also, be flexible. After you get the tort you will have to adapt the enclosure to them specifically as every tort is different. They like different kids of hides, may be escape artists, picky eaters, etc.

What do you think you'll do for an enclosure? How much space do you have? My favorite is a home-built tortoise table (wood box) with a Mercury Vapor Bulb. The Mega Ray and T-Rex bulbs are the top of the line with the highest UVB output. They last 12 months unless you can test the UVB output (expensive to get a meter). Use a wide and deep hood fixture with a ceramic socket and a lamp stand to adjust the height. With this, unless you house gets under 60/65 F at night, you only need the one bulb, to be kept on 10-14 hours a day depending on who you ask. I think it's the simplest and best set up. With a Hermanns, you have the choice to use either a dry or moist substrate as they are not as prone to pyramiding. I like aspen shavings. You will find a lot of people buy a lot of "stuff" for their torts.

I think a good thermometer and water dish are key. A laser thermometer is a great investment to test the temperature gradient. The PE1 or PE2 are recommended here a lot. I have the PE1. You don't need the fancy cage furnishings and food dish. A slate tile is great as it's cheap and also keeps the beak/nails wore down. Also, the tort doesn't have to climb a lip. Know what size tort you are getting before you buy or build anything. Many breeders will hold a tort for a few weeks, especially with payment or a deposit. Fake plants and homemade hides from boxes or plastic containers are awesome. It's tough to keep real plants alive, and fake cacti and stuff don't have any added value as the fake plants with broad leaves for torts to hide under (they also block the line of sight so the tortoise can't see all the way across the enclosure).

Guess that's enough for now! Best wishes and ask away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

2301105z98buq9uzc.gif

to the forum!!

I don't know anything about the Hermann's tortoise, so I'll refrain from giving advice about them. But we DO have a Hermann's section on the forum, and I have seen babies for sale here by some of our members. So, take a look in the for sale section and in the Hermann's Hangout section.

Glad to have you here with us, and congrats to you for doing your homework before getting the tortoise!

Yvonne

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
First let me start off by saying thank you to everyone for such a warm welcome. The place I have in mind is about 2ft wide by 4ft long, I was hoping to find a Rubbermaid container that would fit this space, but I might just build a box for him. From what I've read I'm thinking of either using 30% children playground sand (from the store, I'm not going to raid the local park,lol.) to 70% coco Coir (sp?). I'm not "set" on getting a Hermann's I just happened to see a pic of a little one looking at the cam and fell in love. I also might look for a Russian. I just can't get one that will get too big, my wife is already creeped out by all reptiles, so this is a big step for her (personally I don't see how you can't love em, shes weird...) so she said it would have to stay on the small side... BTW I think she is thinking I want a Galapagos Tortoise, lol. I will be buying the lights and hopefully the substrate this Friday.

one other thing, has anyone had any experience with http://www.bluebeastreptile.com ?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Some of the 50 gallon or so Rubbermaid containers are that size. If you get a hatchling, you want at least two containers. One a little smaller, and then later on, a large one. You want the enclosure to grow with the tort, or block off part of it. You want the most space you can provide. That's about the minimum I'd want to have for an adult Russian or Hermann, although some people say that is more than you'd need. That substrate mix is popular. The coconut coir either comes in a brick to soak in water, or in a bag pre-mixed (more expensive). You can get a good deal buying a large quantity online. I liked building a tort table because I was able to make it custom to fit on top of a cabinet. You want the enclosure raised off the ground because of drafts and it's easier to look and care for the tort. I wonder if the more you involve your wife in this, the more she'd be interested? This helped my fiance, and now he loves our little tort as much as I do. Greek torts are also about the same size off the top of my head. What kind of lights?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Some of the 50 gallon or so Rubbermaid containers are that size. If you get a hatchling, you want at least two containers. One a little smaller, and then later on, a large one. You want the enclosure to grow with the tort, or block off part of it. You want the most space you can provide. That's about the minimum I'd want to have for an adult Russian or Hermann, although some people say that is more than you'd need. That substrate mix is popular. The coconut coir either comes in a brick to soak in water, or in a bag pre-mixed (more expensive). You can get a good deal buying a large quantity online. I liked building a tort table because I was able to make it custom to fit on top of a cabinet. You want the enclosure raised off the ground because of drafts and it's easier to look and care for the tort. I wonder if the more you involve your wife in this, the more she'd be interested? This helped my fiance, and now he loves our little tort as much as I do. Greek torts are also about the same size off the top of my head. What kind of lights?

I have to add that my hubby also was apathetic at first when we discussed getting Tank (our first leopard tort) - now the torts are his favorite, well, next to Wagner our faithful poodle who watches football and baseball with us. Have to admit the torts haven't been exposed to tv sports:)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Well helllooo and welcome !!!! Yes indeed very exciting ! Good stuff that you're researching before you get one! This forum is great, ask anything you need and read up all you can, you can never stop learning! :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Matt :D
I love Hermann tortoise, I have one too, his name is Hermy. Russian tortoises are sooo cute too. If I buy another tortoise one day, it will be a RT.
I am sure that your wife will fall in love with your new little one :D It is impossible to not love them :D

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Greeks are similar in care and size to Hermanns and Russians, and I drove over and picked out my Greek hatchling from a breeder in Huntington Beach for $100 (about an hour and a half drive from you.) His website is thetortoiseman.com, and he has a bunch of photos of his torts there.

My girlfriend wasn't too keen on me getting a tortoise either, but when I told her it won't grow over a foot long and sent her some photos of a few hatchlings she was sold :D.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Matt welcome to the forum. I have had dealings with Tyler his wife and son of www.bluebeastreptiles.com and they are wonderful people. They treat their torts well and I would have no problem purchasing from him. I have bought his large tort table and use it for my Greek hatchlings especially outside as it has a screen top. They are well made but a bit small for a full grown Hermanni, Greek or Russian. Sounds like you are doing some serious research (a good thing). Oh and if you decide to get the MVB I would recommend you using www.reptiledepot.com as they are about the cheapest. $39.00 for 100 watt bulb. This would provide heat and UVB at least during the day. Some Greeks do not hibernate so you will want to concider that and if you plan to hibernate in the future if you get a subspecies that does hibernate. Just one more thing to think about. High respect goes out to you for you doing this research first and planning. Also you should look into a reptile vet in your area. I live in the Inland Empire and I know we have 3 locally in the city of San Bernardino. Also Log type hides can be bought at Wal-Mart (gerbil section) for about $4.00-$6.00 depending if you want the small or large. Plant saucers can also be purchased there for water or food. During the holidays they sell a Rubbermaid type Christmas tree container that is perfect for a small adult tort. They are about 6 ft long x 18-14 wide x 12 high. I have several and get lots of use from them inside. These are seasonal so they will only have them around the holidays. I like to have an extra or two for rescues or just incases. :)

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
Hey everyone, Just thought I'd check in and let you know whats been going on, I had to postpone purchasing my tortoise until Oct. 6, as I realized I wasn't nearly as ready for one as I'd hoped. I've ordered a Pro Exotics PE-1 Infrared Temp Gun, got my Light fixture (ceramic), and am currently building a bin for him (using Rubbermaid unit. Still in a toss up about what sort of substrate I should use, it's between Coco-coir/sand, or Cyprus. I'm heading to Lowes or home depot tomorrow and was wondering what types of plants do they sell there (as seeds) that I can grow for him to eat, right now our city is on water restriction, so the yard is dirt, and I will have to grow in a planter.

(sorry if this sounds a bit rambled, I've been sick all weekend :( )

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
katesgoey said:
Did you decide on a Russian? If so, check out www.russiantortoise.org for more ideas. You can order tortoise grazing seeds and other types for growing at www.carolinapetsupply.com. Check out this thread in the food and diet section for a variety of types of plants/weeds you might want to grow: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8851.html. Hope you feel better soon:)

It was a tough call between a Russian and a Hermann, But the final call was made by my wife, lol, she fell in love with the Hermann, so that's what I'm going with.
(at first she didn't want one, now she can't wait to get one... weird.) lol

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ZombieTurtle said:
katesgoey said:
Did you decide on a Russian? If so, check out www.russiantortoise.org for more ideas. You can order tortoise grazing seeds and other types for growing at www.carolinapetsupply.com. Check out this thread in the food and diet section for a variety of types of plants/weeds you might want to grow: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8851.html. Hope you feel better soon:)

It was a tough call between a Russian and a Hermann, But the final call was made by my wife, lol, she fell in love with the Hermann, so that's what I'm going with.
(at first she didn't want one, now she can't wait to get one... weird.) lol

"Yayyyyy" Have fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.