Hermit Crabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Reading the thread about putting these crabs in with tortoises i cam across a few puzzling/funny comments!!

When the crab outgrows its shell... How do you as an owner find it a new one to fit into?

Also why would the tortoise eat it without a shell? Did the tortiise not recognise he was his friend until l he found a new home?

Im cutious LOL

X

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
When I had a hermit crab I had a selection of different sized shells around his tank, so if he out grew one he could just pop out of one shell and into another.

The tortoise wouldn't think of it as "friend" it would be more like "unobtainable snack" once it left its shell it would suddenly become obtainable. Then it's adios to the sad naked crab.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises are opportunist eaters. If it smells or looks good they will eat it. I found this out with dried krill. Was feeding my turtle and koi and drop a piece in front of my leopard. He ate it right up. I fed him another and ate that one too. He ate about four pieces that day. So, ya, if he sees it and gets to it, he could very well try to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.