Hermans drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

adammc1982

5 Year Member
I have a Hermans who is about 5 years old. I recently took her to the vets for a check and they seemed to think she was dehydrated, due to white deposits in her urine. It came as a suprise as she has access to fresh water daily but I have never seen her drink from it. Any ideas as to why or how to increase her water intake?

Cheers!!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :)do you give her warm soak's if not I would start to a few times a day fo 15-20 minutes also you could spray warter on her food:)

adammc1982

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum :)do you give her warm soak's if not I would start to a few times a day fo 15-20 minutes also you could spray warter on her food:)

Thanks for the info :). I do soak her occasionally, about once a week, but I will increase this.

I add fruit juice to her dried food to soften it, i presume this will help to re-hydrate her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi adammc1982:

Is your name "Adam"? And may we know where you are located?

White deposits in the urine is a completely acceptable thing. This is called "urates." You only have to worry if the urates are hard and rock-like. If they are smooth and creamy, its perfectly normal.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You do not want to upset your little one stomach so if I was you, I would forget about the fruit juice. What is your substrate and what is the humidity in the enclousre? Spray his food with water and soaking him everyday is a very good idea IMO.
Welcome to the forum by the way :)

adammc1982

5 Year Member
Hi thanks for the information!

Yes my name is Adam and I am located in Lancashire in the UK :).

I was adding the fruit juice to the dried food as directed on the packet! I this is a bad idea I will stop!

The substrate is currently wood chippings and humidity is about 60%.

They are smooth and creamy so maybe she is ok and the vet didn't know what he was talking about!

adammc1982

5 Year Member
Isa said:
What kind of dried food do you feed him?
Smooth and creamy is all good IMO :)

She is being fed on two types:

Exo-Terra Tortoise Adult

Komodo Complete

Cheers

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Adam:

It would really be a good idea to use dark, leafy greens as the base diet with your MFG'd tortoise food as a supplement.

adammc1982

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks.

I try and mix spinach and other greens with the dried food. She can be quite fussy though!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not too much spinach. Try turnip greens, dandelion greens, raddiccio, kale, escarole, endive. You can buy one item every time you shop...you don't need to buy all of this at one time. But variety is key.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with Yvonne :) I feed my Hermanns Mazuri tortoise diet but only as a supplement, it is not their everyday food. Yvonne already gave you a very good list, you can buy spring mix at the grocery store and add some more greens :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe the packaged salad we refer to here as "spring mix" is called "Rocket salad" there. Or maybe its "Roquette".

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Interesting, here in Canada, Roquette is one kind of greens, we also call it Arugula :D

Turks-mummy

5 Year Member
Northamptonshire, England
Hi adam,

im new to the website and also new to tortoise baised in the UK also in Northamptonshire. - not too far from you!!
Can u let me know what it is your buying for your tortoise.
i was giving Turk (whos 1years old today!!) just lettuce and carrots and sometimes apples.
iv recently changed to whats called Bistro Salad. (a mix of tender leaves and sweet beetroot).

i have been taking the beetroot out as not if he is aloud this?
any ideas on just a basic everyday food plan i could use would be greatful x

Status
Not open for further replies.