Hermans burrowing

maddison85

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
The good thing about orchid bark is that it doesn't mold and not messy. I'm not sure if hemp bedding is the same. So, it would be better to completely change the substrate. I'm just afraid that mixing substrates will defeat the purpose of change.
Ok thanks will do that. How do I mix the water with it

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok thanks will do that. How do I mix the water with it
You need to pour some cups of water in the corners of the enclosure to wet lower layers of substrate. Top layer should stay dry. This is usually done once in a week or so. Also, you can do a "turn-over" to mix top and lower layers once a month.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
What humidity should I be trying to get please
Between 50-70% across the enclosure with up to 100% in the "humid hide". This humidity gradient occurs naturally (lower humidity in the basking zone and higher in the colder part of the enclosure).

maddison85

Uk
So after last night's mad run around today he has done same although didn't burrow himself just went in his cave I have his light hanging down now humidity is at 78% and under his light is 54% only thing left is new table. But I'm beginning to think am I best putting him back on the beech woodchip he had in when he was brought to us. He was active then and that is what he has had for 3 year. Have I made a mistake changing it to try helping him. He came out had his food then went under his cave.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I say give it a couple of weeks. They hate change and it will adjust. As long as settings correct it has fresh food and water let it be. Mine sleeps loads it's a tortoise thing.

maddison85

Uk
I say give it a couple of weeks. They hate change and it will adjust. As long as settings correct it has fresh food and water let it be. Mine sleeps loads it's a tortoise thing.
Ok thanks will give it some time. Should I get him up on a morning if he doesn't come out. That's what I have been doing getting him up putting him under light given him a bath every couple days then he goes have some food and go back to bed. He got me chewed to pieces haha

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I normally provide fresh water and food AM and leave it the tortoise to it. If an hour later no activity I pick it up and place near heat lamp and the food. They are grazers so food is available till around 16.00, I remove the food and any bits and refresh the water but no food is in overnight. They soon learn to eat when food is there. They adore dandelion flowers and speedy comes running for them . Go for a walk and pick some healthy looking ones give them a wash and if large I slice in half to avoid any choking. Warm water soaks in high sided container also important to help hydration.

maddison85

Uk
I normally provide fresh water and food AM and leave it the tortoise to it. If an hour later no activity I pick it up and place near heat lamp and the food. They are grazers so food is available till around 16.00, I remove the food and any bits and refresh the water but no food is in overnight. They soon learn to eat when food is there. They adore dandelion flowers and speedy comes running for them . Go for a walk and pick some healthy looking ones give them a wash and if large I slice in half to avoid any choking. Warm water soaks in high sided container also important to help hydration.
Yes I've been giving him dandelion and he loves ribwort plantain checked it and it's a safe feed on tortoise table and there is loads where I work. My work friends laugh at me as now I go in garden and take photos of weeds and pick them haha

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
My family still laughs when I grab the scissors and go cut grass in our backyard. 😆 My little guy still isn't eating the grass and crushed up leaves, but he will soon. But, I totally get the wandering around and cutting things. If you don't understand what's going on, it's funny to see someone doing it. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy cutting my grass with scissors! 🤣