Hermanns Not Eating and Not Energetic

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
My five year old Hermanns is not eating, he’s also not walking around like usual. He is tending to just lay instead of standing and walking. He isn’t tempted my any food. I have him outside with me when it’s warm out , but isn’t interested in roaming.
a couple of times outside yesterday he would raise his backend, so wondering if he’s constipated. I’ve been soaking him , offering him food that he likes so don’t know what to do now. If he’s constipated would it work to give him pumpkin?
Also, what wattage light should I be using for basking? I have a dome type lamp, it’s about a footabove him but maybe it’s not warm enough. I don’t want to use aceramic heat emitter and have used a reptile bulb or regular bulb.
sorry this is so long but I’m very concerned and don’t know what direction to go with him.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My five year old Hermanns is not eating, he’s also not walking around like usual. He is tending to just lay instead of standing and walking. He isn’t tempted my any food. I have him outside with me when it’s warm out , but isn’t interested in roaming.
a couple of times outside yesterday he would raise his backend, so wondering if he’s constipated. I’ve been soaking him , offering him food that he likes so don’t know what to do now. If he’s constipated would it work to give him pumpkin?
Also, what wattage light should I be using for basking? I have a dome type lamp, it’s about a footabove him but maybe it’s not warm enough. I don’t want to use aceramic heat emitter and have used a reptile bulb or regular bulb.
sorry this is so long but I’m very concerned and don’t know what direction to go with him.
Hi!
One of the most frequent causes of torts not eating and walking is being too cold. The bulb you use for basking ideally is an ordinary incandescent flood bulb. Not spot...flood. You want a wattage that the temp directly under the bulb, at tort height, is 95-100°F. At a foot above, try a 45 watt, but only your thermometer can tell you if that's the correct wattage.

Where are you located? Just city and state, or country other than USA. If you would add that info to your profile it would be helpful. Some answers are different depending on climate.

If he doesn't eat, doesn't walk, then he doesn't poop. Check out his temps...cool side, basking, and nighttime low. Pumpkin helps, also spineless cactus, aloe, cucumber, and watermelon.

In case you haven't seen the newest up-to-date care sheet for Hermann's, here it is. It's written for hatchlings, but also gives adult care.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Thank you.. i had a bulb that was a 60 watt but it barely gave off heat..I went out to a reptile store and and bought a light that is 100w Exo Terra daylight basking spot, so hopefully. I also bought a cucumber and pumpkin for him.
I’m in Manitoba, Canada. Not many more days left that are warm enough for him to go outside.
thanks very much for the care sheet, I’ll read it right away

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Hi!
One of the most frequent causes of torts not eating and walking is being too cold. The bulb you use for basking ideally is an ordinary incandescent flood bulb. Not spot...flood. You want a wattage that the temp directly under the bulb, at tort height, is 95-100°F. At a foot above, try a 45 watt, but only your thermometer can tell you if that's the correct wattage.

Where are you located? Just city and state, or country other than USA. If you would add that info to your profile it would be helpful. Some answers are different depending on climate.

If he doesn't eat, doesn't walk, then he doesn't poop. Check out his temps...cool side, basking, and nighttime low. Pumpkin helps, also spineless cactus, aloe, cucumber, and watermelon.

In case you haven't seen the newest up-to-date care sheet for Hermann's, here it is. It's written for hatchlings, but also gives adult care.

I put the new bulb in, and within 15 minutes he was walking around the enclosure and is eating right now like he’s never seen food.. he has cucumber, kale and some spring mix that he’s eating. And he’s not constipated any more . That was fast so the low heat was causing the problems, thanks very much

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I put the new bulb in, and within 15 minutes he was walking around the enclosure and is eating right now like he’s never seen food.. he has cucumber, kale and some spring mix that he’s eating. And he’s not constipated any more . That was fast so the low heat was causing the problems, thanks very much

Oh, this is the kind of post that encourages me to continue doing this! So happy for you both!

The light you are using now is a spot bulb. They have a tendency to dessicate the tort's carapace. It would be better to use an incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Oh, this is the kind of post that encourages me to continue doing this! So happy for you both!

The light you are using now is a spot bulb. They have a tendency to dessicate the tort's carapace. It would be better to use an incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store.
Thanks. The same wattage?

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
I did but it threw of very little heat, that’s what I had before
I’m a bit confused on this, the new light is a 100 watt. The old one was a 40 watt and before that, a 60 watt. Neither the 40 or 60 threw off any heat barely.
I asked the guy at a hardwood store and he didn’t know what I meant by sn incandescent floodbulb

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I’m a bit confused on this, the new light is a 100 watt. The old one was a 40 watt and before that, a 60 watt. Neither the 40 or 60 threw off any heat barely.
I asked the guy at a hardwood store and he didn’t know what I meant by sn incandescent floodbulb

Canada has a ban on incandescent light bulbs. You'll have to figure out your own way to buy them. I've seen some on amazon.CA but I don't know if they will deliver them to you because they do the same thing in America where they'll list stuff but prohibit the shipping depending on your location. That's just an example. You can probably find cheaper ones if you look harder:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002CZ1E4M/?tag=

If you have a open enclosure you'll need a higher wattage bulb. A closed chamber enclosure can get away with using a 45 watt because the insulation helps keep the heat in a lot longer. For an open enclosure start with 65watt and go up.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Canada has a ban on incandescent light bulbs. You'll have to figure out your own way to buy them. I've seen some on amazon.CA but I don't know if they will deliver them to you because they do the same thing in America where they'll list stuff but prohibit the shipping depending on your location. That's just an example. You can probably find cheaper ones if you look harder:

If you have a open enclosure you'll need a higher wattage bulb. A closed chamber enclosure can get away with using a 45 watt because the insulation helps keep the heat in a lot longer. For an open enclosure start with 65watt and go up.
ok thanks. (Just ignore the picture below that I attached, I did so before I read your reply. ) His enclosure is an open one.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??

Ok thanks very much!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

The bulbs from amazon linked here are the same ones I’ve bought in the past and they’re very good. You can still buy incandescent bulbs in stores too, in SK anyhow. I’ve bought these ones from Canadian Tire. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...scent-floodlight-bulbs-6-pk-0525581p.html#srp

Regardless @tortoisecrca I’m happy to read your tortoise is acting more normal again.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
The bulbs from amazon linked here are the same ones I’ve bought in the past and they’re very good. You can still buy incandescent bulbs in stores too, in SK anyhow. I’ve bought these ones from Canadian Tire. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...scent-floodlight-bulbs-6-pk-0525581p.html#srp

Regardless @tortoisecrca I’m happy to read your tortoise is acting more normal again.
Thanks very much, I actually found those today that are 45w in my husband’s workroom . The 45 dont throw of enough heat because his enclosure is open but I live five minutes from cdn tire and will pick a higher watt out. They have 65 and 100 in stock online and in the store. . Does yours serve as the basking light as well or do you use a different light for that. They sell the Noma dome light holder so might grab it just to have it on hand

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m glad you’re able to get those bulbs in MB. It is always good to know of a local source for bulbs if you're in a pinch sometime. I use the 65 watt as my basking/heat lamp for my Hermann’s tortoise. I was using a 125 watt mercury vapour bulb before I switched to the incandescent flood lights. I was concerned that the 65 watt wouldn’t cut it, but it throws more than enough heat. Just make sure you have a temp gun and monitor closely for the first bit to make sure the temps are where you need them to be. You will have to lower the height of your lamp stand or whatever is holding your fixture from where it was when you were using the 100 watt spot bulb.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I suspect that the 45 watt you used before was a "replacement" flood. LED. That's what you linked from Amazon in post # 11. See where it says "equivalent"? And it says LED. They give off almost no heat.

You want incandescent. I didn't know Canada is pulling back on them too. Here in Cali we can't get them in stores or online.

You will find that the incandescent bulbs give off plenty of heat.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
The link @Minority2 has in post #10 is correct, it’s just the screenshot in post #11 from @tortoisecrca that is the incorrect LED version. When I click on the link in post #10 it is the same incandescent floods I’ve ordered before. The LED version is definitely suggested on that page though. Below is a screenshot from the description section from the amazon link:

75F78C6F-F879-4AD2-BFCE-12F2CF1DC92F.png