Baby hermanns not eating

Wewin15

Location (City and/or State)
Attleborough
Hello. A couple days ago I purchased my first hermanns. He’s believed to be under a year old. I’m having an issue as he won’t eat. I’m soaking him daily and he’s drinking. He’s also very active. I checked the temperature of the viv he’s in and the basking spot is 95 degrees and the cool end is around 75 degrees. Any suggestions to why he’s not eating would be gratefully received. Thanks

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It can take a couple weeks for a tort to settle in a new environment. They will often be very active the first couple days, this might be their attempts to find their old territory. Typically they wont be interested in much else and afterwards they will tend to hide a lot for a few days. Once they have settled and gotten familiar with their new territory they will resume more normal behaviour. It can certainly take several days for torts to start eating normally again.

Under a year old is also pretty young so there could be other factors involved if it doesnt start eating soon, we are always happy to discuss your husbandry. If you want any help or advice post some pics and give us the info on how you care for this little one.

Wewin15

Attleborough
It can take a couple weeks for a tort to settle in a new environment. They will often be very active the first couple days, this might be their attempts to find their old territory. Typically they wont be interested in much else and afterwards they will tend to hide a lot for a few days. Once they have settled and gotten familiar with their new territory they will resume more normal behaviour. It can certainly take several days for torts to start eating normally again.

Under a year old is also pretty young so there could be other factors involved if it doesnt start eating soon, we are always happy to discuss your husbandry. If you want any help or advice post some pics and give us the info on how you care for this little one.
Thank you. I’ll keep a close eye on him.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Your cool end temp is too low... get it up to 80-85.

Wewin15

Attleborough
Your cool end temp is too low... get it up to 80-85.

I just took the temp again and it’s around 80. I took the initial temp in the morning just as I turned the lights on.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings WeWin.

As others have said, the issue ould be a combination of things. A new environment, lighting, heat, cold, food choices, etc. so, your new little guy is settling in. That said MANY new keepers over estimate the temperatures at tort level. So, a combo of so many changes, coupled with too cold temps at tort level, will result in a sluggish, sleeping, non-eating tortoise.

Upload some pix of your enclosure and describe how/where you are taking temps. Many folks use very inaccurate analog gauges.

So, good luck. Upload some pix. Happy torting.

Wewin15

Attleborough
Greetings WeWin.

As others have said, the issue ould be a combination of things. A new environment, lighting, heat, cold, food choices, etc. so, your new little guy is settling in. That said MANY new keepers over estimate the temperatures at tort level. So, a combo of so many changes, coupled with too cold temps at tort level, will result in a sluggish, sleeping, non-eating tortoise.

Upload some pix of your enclosure and describe how/where you are taking temps. Many folks use very inaccurate analog gauges.

So, good luck. Upload some pix. Happy torting.

Wewin15

Attleborough
Currently have him in a 4ft viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just a quick question & a couple of observations. How are you providing/maintaining overall ambient heat? I don’t see a RHP or a CHE present.

One thing i see that you should move away from is the “rabbit pellet” substrate. It’s just not a good substrate, it can‘t be moistened to help with humidity, it easily molds, & it encourages a tort to nibble & eat substrate. There are many better choices - orchid bark, coco coir, or plain cypress mulch.

Lastly, the light without the cage LOOKS like a CFL bulb? If so, these have been known to cause issues for torts.

Wewin15

Attleborough
Just a quick question & a couple of observations. How are you providing/maintaining overall ambient heat? I don’t see a RHP or a CHE present.

One thing i see that you should move away from is the “rabbit pellet” substrate. It’s just not a good substrate, it can‘t be moistened to help with humidity, it easily molds, & it encourages a tort to nibble & eat substrate. There are many better choices - orchid bark, coco coir, or plain cypress mulch.

Lastly, the light without the cage LOOKS like a CFL bulb? If so, these have been known to cause issues for torts.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by CFL and RHP. I was scared to use a substrate that would get in his eyes or irritate him however I’m now gonna find some better substrate thanks,