Hermann's enclosures

Justin 15

Hi everyone. Could you all please post pictures of your Hermann's enclosures so I can get some ideas for upgrading mine. :)
Thanks

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there! (waves) can you post up pics of your little ones enclosure? it will help people advise on the 'tweeks' for renovation.

... and we all love pictures:)

are you housing inside or out?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
That's my enclosure: lots of weeds, a few stones and logs as sight barriers and a big lavender for shade.
enclosure.JPG

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Sorry forgot to mention. Im indoor. :)
Doesn't really matter. I had my torts in an inside enclosure at first and it looked the same - soil with lots of weeds, stones, logs,...
The only difference was the artificial light. ;)

DPtortiose

Nah it's reptile. I got it from the reptile section in the pet shop.

Do you still have the packaging? I really can't think of a brand who produces that kind of light. You wouldn't be the first who has been sold a UV light for an aquarium. Those lights don't tend to produce UV-B but UV-C which is quite harmful. It's used to kill micro-organism but can damage the eyes too. Those bulbs tend to spread the blueish light I see from that bulb.

Justin 15

Can't remember but it was from pets at home. To be honest it looks more blue in the picture than normal. I think it's either my camera or something. :)

Justin 15

Do you still have the packaging? I really can't think of a brand who produces that kind of light. You wouldn't be the first who has been sold a UV light for an aquarium. Those lights don't tend to produce UV-B but UV-C which is quite harmful. It's used to kill micro-organism but can damage the eyes too. Those bulbs tend to spread the blueish light I see from that bulb.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Anyone got any indoor enclosure pictures?

here is our current enclosure, ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443552663.511767.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443552677.397283.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443552700.895809.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443552715.530515.jpg

its not ideal but we had to make do... the new enclosure is what it's sitting on. work in progress so please excuse the mess

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Vivarium*?

essentially yes, well thats the image in my head at least lol.

we have a 3yr male eastern hermanns. pet store shop with bad advice, that's why his current table is so small. approximately 3x2ft. new, 7x3

i can't advise glass, it can cause stress as torts do not understand it and will try to bulldoze through, or reflects will be seen as another tortoise and territorial defence (if you will) will take hold. that being said i am using it as ours appears fine with it.

i have also read that closed chambers or vivariums are not necessarily the best housing for hermanns, however i am in Scotland and maintaining ideal conditions can be difficult, this is a solution to our problem.

do you mind if i ask where you are in the world?

Justin 15

essentially yes, well thats the image in my head at least lol.

we have a 3yr male eastern hermanns. pet store shop with bad advice, that's why his current table is so small. approximately 3x2ft. new, 7x3

i can't advise glass, it can cause stress as torts do not understand it and will try to bulldoze through, or reflects will be seen as another tortoise and territorial defence (if you will) will take hold. that being said i am using it as ours appears fine with it.

i have also read that closed chambers or vivariums are not necessarily the best housing for hermanns, however i am in Scotland and maintaining ideal conditions can be difficult, this is a solution to our problem.

do you mind if i ask where you are in the world?

I'm actually in Scotland as well. :)