Hermanns eggs

ChgoHerp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago area
my pair of eastern hermanns laid 4 eggs in June, 3 hatched. I keep them outdoors as long as I can. They came in about 3 weeks ago. Daytime temps are 50 s, overnight 30s or 40s.
I was digging in their outdoor Enclosure and found 6 eggs. Their temperature is 65 degrees.
Can hermann eggs take cold temperatures?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about Hermanns tortoises, but my guess is they just stop growing until their area warms back up. The embryo just goes into a sort of stasis. (I'm guessing)

ChgoHerp

5 Year Member
Chicago area
That’s what I’m hoping. They’re in my incubator now. I’ll post in a month a let you know if they look good

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
Sure, you have embryo's hibernating in the egg. But they do need heat to start developing so put them in the incubator and hope for the best :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw. . . congratulations! So much fun to watch eggs hatch out cute little miniature tortoises!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A word of caution: Don't incubate on perlite. Hatchlings always eat a bit of their incubation media and perlite lines their intestinal tract and causes failure to thrive/impaction. I have the necropsy results to prove it!

Get them off the perlite ASAP. Move the other eggs before they hatch. I use vermiculite and its never caused me any problem.