Hermanns digging in under basking bulb????

Status
Not open for further replies.

10mm

5 Year Member
So my little buddy Boots (7 months Dalmatian) is getting comfy in our home. He is very active and eating like a horse. O.K..... a really small horse. Anyway...... I have provided him with three hides. A stone hide a log hide and a fake fern leaf area that he can crawl under. He has used them all up until yesterday when he decided to dig in under the basking bulb (on). Is this normal? I have been checking temps regularly with a laser therm. His shell is 85 while dug in. Is this o.k.? Why is he not using his hides? He dug in today under the basking bulb as well.

10mm

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
What's the humidity?

60%, From what I have read humidity is not a big deal with hermanns. But it is winter so I have it in check. Daily soaks and controlled humidity. An open top three sided glass enclosure with an addition off the back .

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yes it's normal.

Humidity is a very much a big deal with Hermann's species!

There are three components to proper hydration which are crucial to Hermann's species as well as many others. This is especially true of just about every baby tortoise of any species.

1.) Body hydration-the tortoise has to have the ability to drink when it needs to. It should have clean drinking water that is easily accessible and available at all times. In addition to that soaking can be done as an added insurance for the tortoise to get an opportunity to drink.
2.) Soil moisture-the substrate that your tortoise is on should feel moist without being wet. Tortoises bury themselves in the substrate primarily to keep from drying out and to hide. This action can sometimes be a sign that the ambient air is too dry or too hot. In most situations the substrate for any of the Hermann's subspecies should be sprayed twice daily, more often if necessary.
3) Ambient air-the ambient air humidity can often determine the activity of a tortoise. If it is too dry they will often seek cooler more moist conditions in order to prevent dehydration. This is especially true of young tortoises. Hermann's tortoises along with some other Testudo species should have a minimum ambient air humidity level of 50% to as high as 75% with around 60-65% being ideal for normal activity.

10mm

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Yes it's normal.

Humidity is a very much a big deal with Hermann's species!

There are three components to proper hydration which are crucial to Hermann's species as well as many others. This is especially true of just about every baby tortoise of any species.

1.) Body hydration-the tortoise has to have the ability to drink when it needs to. It should have clean drinking water that is easily accessible and available at all times. In addition to that soaking can be done as an added insurance for the tortoise to get an opportunity to drink.
2.) Soil moisture-the substrate that your tortoise is on should feel moist without being wet. Tortoises bury themselves in the substrate primarily to keep from drying out and to hide. This action can sometimes be a sign that the ambient air is too dry or too hot. In most situations the substrate for any of the Hermann's subspecies should be sprayed twice daily, more often if necessary.
3) Ambient air-the ambient air humidity can often determine the activity of a tortoise. If it is too dry they will often seek cooler more moist conditions in order to prevent dehydration. This is especially true of young tortoises. Hermann's tortoises along with some other Testudo species should have a minimum ambient air humidity level of 50% to as high as 75% with around 60-65% being ideal for normal activity.

Well we should be good then as He gets daily soaks and has access to fresh water daily. However.... I have not been misting but poring water in the substrate and mixing it up to keep the humidity up. Not wet but just moist. I am using coco coir and eucalyptus. Just seemed strange that he would choose to dig in under the heat source as I have offered so many hides. He is very active and he can climb like spiderman.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's, Elsa, NEVER used any of the hides I bought or made for her. She has ALWAYS preferred to dig into her moist substrate. Her favorite spot right now is half buried under a Boston fern!

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I've actually taken the fixed hide out of my table to give Hokie more room to wander, he has never used it, he prefers to dig down and bury himself, he rarely sleeps in the same place twice and there is something magical about waiting to see where his little face will appear from the next morning

10mm

5 Year Member
Andrea M said:
I've actually taken the fixed hide out of my table to give Hokie more room to wander, he has never used it, he prefers to dig down and bury himself, he rarely sleeps in the same place twice and there is something magical about waiting to see where his little face will appear from the next morning

the first day he dug in I was looking all over for him. I was thinking "did he get out?" I was even looking on the floor for him. lol

Andrea M

5 Year Member
10mm, I did exactly the same!! I put a pic of him up a while ago just waking up, the thread is 'muddy baby hermann'

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Smart baby torts hide from things that find baby torts to be tasty by digging into the dirt, and not-so-smart baby torts often meet those things that find baby torts to be tasty...so, in captivity, that's why they dig down...it's just instinctive.

OTOH, as they grow larger, torts mostly hide under things like rocks, logs, etc. for protection, and in captivity they grow much more bold and relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.