Hermann weight

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
My hermann is 3 months old and weighs just over 1 oz. is this ok?

Sorry am new on here and just worried that Charlie isn't putting weight on. He eats properly though

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi tinkerbell. I'm not all that versed with hermanns tortoises so I don't know if one ounce is good or not. What I can tell you, us that if you're measuring Charlie often, you should see an increase in weight every time. Maybe try weighing his once every 2 weeks or so and if he's putting on weight and acting normal then he's good to go.

With a small tortoise like that, I would also consider using a scale that can measure in grams. Little changes in weight won't register on an ounce scale.

My one year old red foot puts on about 7-15 grams weekly so by size difference your Charlie should be putting on less than that which is a very small amount for a gram scale to read.

Hope this helps!

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hiya
Thanks for the advise. That's my first post. Need to get some scales then so I can weigh him in grams, should be more accurate. He eats well and goes toilet regular and is quite active.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hope so as he's my first tortoise and I've had him since he was 2 wks old and seems happy enough. Got tort table and what I think is a good set up ImageUploadedByTortForum1382035935.575091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
That's a really nice enclosure, you've obviously done your homework :) you've even got shallow dishes! The only thing I would suggest is swapping the fake plants for real plants. Great work!

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks great! That's going to be nice and roomy for a lot of growth!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are some threads that you can search about Hermanns. One ounce is so tiny. Hermanns are s.all anyway, but you may want to check to see he doesn't have worms or parasites. A fecal sample to a vet should confirm that one way or another. He's precious and your setup is perfect!

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. I trying my best as it's my first tortoise. Going to buy some different scales and weigh him properly in grams. If it's the same we'll be off to the vets as want the best for little Charlie.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Just got some new scales and Charlie is weighing 37 grams. Do you think this is still small?

abclements

5 Year Member
For a 3 month old? I think that seems pretty reasonable for a hermanns...