Hermann tortoise has cracked beak

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Good afternoon all,

I haven’t posted in a long time because I felt that this forum has given me all the information that I need to take care of my tortoise friend. However, today I noticed a difference in my tortoise and I’m really worried because I’ve never seen anything like it. It looks like a piece of my tort’s beak is missing or cracked. He hasn’t lost his appetite, doesn’t have any pus or discharge coming from his mouth or nose, and his mouth isn’t red or inflamed. He still totally has his spunk that he usually has. I attached a picture to the post. I’m hoping someone can tell me if I need to urgently take my tortoise to the vet. Thank you everyone.C95B9C23-FD0B-482C-B9FB-E13A1BF2EC58.jpeg99C37974-3B99-4658-B780-21FA1B67656C.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s a quick response. It’s nothing URGENT at all, but for some reason, your lil guy is having beak issues. Cuttlebone, hard foods, calvium supplements, etc. I can’t quite see how ragged or broken, so you might try and clip a bit to get any bits that might get caught. No need for an urgent vet visit. @zovick will have some ideas as well.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Here’s a quick response. It’s nothing URGENT at all, but for some reason, your lil guy is having beak issues. Cuttlebone, hard foods, calvium supplements, etc. I can’t quite see how ragged or broken, so you might try and clip a bit to get any bits that might get caught. No need for an urgent vet visit. @zovick will have some ideas as well.

I appreciate your quick response. I never really gave him cuttlebone that much up until recently. I noticed he likes it a lot so I’ve been giving it to him and he destroys it quick. Is it possible that having too much of the cuttlebone can cause the beak to grind down too much?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I appreciate your quick response. I never really gave him cuttlebone that much up until recently. I noticed he likes it a lot so I’ve been giving it to him and he destroys it quick. Is it possible that having too much of the cuttlebone can cause the beak to grind down too much?

No, id say the opposite. Chomping down on cuttlebone is good, a natural grinding process. & source of calcium.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The tortoise's beak is a bit overgrown and apparently the left side was thin and it cracked when the tortoise bit something firmly. Sometimes these cracks are difficult to heal because they continue to crack further as the beak grows. It might be a good idea to take it to a vet and have the entire beak trimmed and smoothed (front and sides) so that it can heal properly as the new growth occurs. Doing this may prevent the crack from extending further up toward the tortoise's face.

If you don't want to go to the vet, you can just keep an eye on the area and make sure the cracked area doesn't become worse or get infected. If it does, then it would be time to go to the vet. There are some good exotic vets in the NYC area.

Here is the one most of my vet friends recommend:
Paul Raiti
picture.gif

17 W Grand St
Mount Vernon
New York
10552-2146
United States
914-664-2784

Last edited: