Hermann Tortoise - 3 months old - humidity confusion

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am using coco coir for my 3 month old tortoise. But I'm confused about the humidity. Some say that being damp causes issues with baby torts. But then I hear the humidity has to be high. I currently spray the substrate once a day with warm water. Then once a week I really douse it with water while he is out bathing. I was using a CHE at night but was told to stop because he was getting too hot. So I worry he is going to get chilled at night due to the high humidity.

I"m so confused.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
A humid hide would help with out toiling over the entire tank. Humid & cold will most likely get you a sick tort. I leave a che heat on in my baby sullys tank even after lights go out and keep it in mid to high 80's since she needs more humidity. My adult russians enclosure stays at 30% humidity so it drops down mid 70s at night. This is not been an issue because she digs in at night and uses her humid hide in the day when light/ heat is on. A baby needs more humidity for healthy smooth growth. But temps need to be watched closely.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hmm okay. I think I will use the CHE tonight just to make sure he doesn't get chilly. thank you. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is the problem: The old way of tortoise keeping was totally dry. Often rabbit pellets were recommended as a substrate. We (well some of us anyway) now know that all that awful pyramiding for all those years was caused by growth in conditions that were too dry, and general dehydration. We now understand that babies of all species need at least some moderate humidity for their shell to grow and develop properly. Well with tropical species like sulcatas, stars and leopards we simply keep them warm all the time. With temperate species like yours, there does not seem to be much of a consensus on just how much humidity and just what temperatures they need. Most will agree that they need a drop in night temps, but how much and from what temp down to what temp? What about these drops in night temps at higher levels of humidity? I have asked a lot of people and not gotten a satisfactory answer. These details are still being sorted out for many species. I know of people doing it at every end of the spectrum and I don't really see or hear of anyone having any problems with it whichever way they are doing it.

I keep my russian babies on damp coco coir. I let their night temp drop as low as 70ish, and their daytime ambient is anywhere from 80-90, plus a basking spot. None of my 20 have show anything but excellent health with a year of this routine.

What exactly is your night temp with and without the CHE?

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi thank you Tom, that has cleared up a lot of the confusion for me and also, why I was so confused!

The night temp without the CHE is 20 degrees celcius and with it on it is 25 degrees.