Hermann not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopkinsn

5 Year Member
I have just changed my hermanns enclosure from a viv to a table ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365637022.555166.jpg which has a 2ft uv 10% strip light and a basking 60w spot bulb linked to a thermostat. Anyway since moving him into here he just stays in his little house and doesn't come out for food or water. If I take him out and put him near his food he will eat but I've never had to do that before, usually he comes out for his food himself. Should I carry on taking him out or leave him and see what he does. Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How long has your tortoise been in this new environment? Tortoises are very much creatures of habit and their daily routine is based on their surroundings, light duration and intensity and temperatures. Quite often when there have been major or complete changes to their surroundings and routine they will seek security (hiding) and it may take a few days or even slightly longer for them to become secure enough to wander out of hiding and familiarize themselves with their new surroundings. It is usually a good idea to offer them fresh water, food and leave them alone until they begin to come out on their own to drink, eat and explore.

hopkinsn

5 Year Member
He has been in there a week so will give him a but more time. Thankyou for ur help

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
hopkinsn said:
He has been in there a week so will give him a but more time. Thankyou for ur help

Put out favored treats...strong motivator!

When I move mine out to their outside home, first day I put their favorite foods on their eating rock, just to remind them where food will be found.

Then I leave them alone for a day or two to relearn their home (this year, I expanded their enclosure, rearranged it a little, and put new and interesting things in it for them to explore... :cool: Hopefully, they'll enjoy the work I did over the winter!)

Status
Not open for further replies.