Herman’s Hibernation

MariaBingham

Location (City and/or State)
Eastbourne uK
Hi! I’m new to this but my three year old Herman tortoise is still very energetic. I have ‘starved’ him for two weeks and bathed him everyday so he is empty of food and nicely hydrated. Today is the day but I’m slightly reluctant because she is so active during the day.
Your advice would be much appreciated

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi! I’m new to this but my three year old Herman tortoise is still very energetic. I have ‘starved’ him for two weeks and bathed him everyday so he is empty of food and nicely hydrated. Today is the day but I’m slightly reluctant because she is so active during the day.
Your advice would be much appreciated
Hello Maria.Welcome from Devon. Have you hibernated him before?
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi Angie, no it would be his first time. The other Herman of the same age is definitely ready. Taking himself off for long sleeps. But Tatty is still very active x
Hello again, Maria - I have a 22year old Herman, and he has never hibernated - when we had him as a baby,he wasn't well, and we didn't even consider doing it - and later, we got too attached to him and wanted him with us all year, and that seemed to be what Zola wanted too! This forum wasn't around then, but I have since learned that hibernation can be optional - with some sorts of tortoises anyway. If a young tortoise shows his body is preparing for hibernation, then of course he should do so, but as Tatty isn't, then I would be inclined to wait. The problem is that presumably you would want to hibernate them both at the same time -I am certainly no expert in this, but if you could keep Tatty awake, would that be a problem? Because, if you did, you could feed him,and observe him to see if he showed any signs of wishing to hibernate eventually - he could have a shorter hibernation than your other one - or none at all, this year at least. Next year, he might want to hibernate too.
How are you planning to set up the hibernation arrangements?
Angie

MariaBingham

Location (City and/or State)
Eastbourne uK
Angie thank you for taking the time to reply. I instinctively thought I should not hibernate Tatty and you have kindly confirmed this. I guess I will just hibernate Bogle then, and giveTatty a feast, he must be starving! I have a fridge in which to store Bogle. Can you recommend a reliable digital thermometer please?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Angie thank you for taking the time to reply. I instinctively thought I should not hibernate Tatty and you have kindly confirmed this. I guess I will just hibernate Bogle then, and giveTatty a feast, he must be starving! I have a fridge in which to store Bogle. Can you recommend a reliable digital thermometer please?
I don't know much about thermometers - there may well be a thread somewhere on the forum about which ones people like best - all I can say is don't get a cheap one, because it may be unreliable - in fact, it might be a good plan to have two, in slightly different places, so you could have more certainty they were correct.
I am glad you are keeping Tatty up - I was just worried it might cause you problems.
Best wishes
Angie x