Here to introduce myself and some friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlhanso

5 Year Member
My name is David Hanson and live in SE Georgia USA.

I share my 3 acre yard with approximately twelve Gopher Tortoises. Ages range from 1 to around 30 years.

The reason I searched out this site is because a few weeks ago a non gopher tort showed up in the yard. I let it be at the time. Well it's still here and I decided to find out what kind it was and see what it needed to survive.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Gopher tortoises are awesome. Upload of pic of the other tortoise and we will help you find out what it is for yah.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello and welcome, would love to see pictures of all your torts!

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome, David!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I'd like to offer you a word of caution. I'm gathering from your post that the gopher tortoises are wild and come and go at will? The new tortoise might make them sick. Years ago, when exotic tortoises started to become available in the pet shops a few of them found their way into our California deserts. These released exotic tortoises gave our native desert tortoise an illness that is causing them to die off (Upper Respiratory Distress Syndrome).

So, my advice to you is for you to try to find this tortoise's owner and get him home to them, or build him his own pen so he doesn't have contact with the gopher tortoises.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) we would love to see some pictures :)

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i've never seen a gopher tortoise! hint hint! did you ever find out what kind of tortoise "showed up"?

dlhanso

5 Year Member
here goes never done this before.

tortadise said:
Welcome! Gopher tortoises are awesome. Upload of pic of the other tortoise and we will help you find out what it is for yah.

2emooyo.jpg

51udc4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a box turtle, and from the condition of his shell, I'd say he's someone's escaped pet. Box turtles and gopher tortoises might cross paths in the wild, so there probably isn't any danger of cross-contamination. But it might be a good idea to try to find the poor little guy's owner.

dlhanso

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
That's a box turtle, and from the condition of his shell, I'd say he's someone's escaped pet. Box turtles and gopher tortoises might cross paths in the wild, so there probably isn't any danger of cross-contamination. But it might be a good idea to try to find the poor little guy's owner.

Thanks for the info. I've come across several box turtles in the past but none were this large. I guess I should have known by the hinged carapace.

I guess I'll let it be.

dlhanso

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
But it might be a good idea to try to find the poor little guy's owner.

I live in a rural area and know most of the neighbors. None of them has a pet turtle. We're on a dirt road and a lot of unwanted pets get dumped in this area.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
dlhanso said:
I live in a rural area and know most of the neighbors. None of them has a pet turtle. We're on a dirt road and a lot of unwanted pets get dumped in this area.

Sounds like a dump job, sadly. I'm glad he found you, though. He knew where to go. ;)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.