Henry's new home

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
How far from the substrate is that light? It looks quite high up in the photo (but it could be a perspective thing).

Does Henry have a water bowl he can climb into?

froggyraine

He has a water bowl yes he can't climb into it he's too big and has baths every day the light is around 25 cm from the bulb to substrate

froggyraine

Doesn't matter doesn't humidity I've spoken to UK leading tortoise expert and it's only needed in high quantities up to the age of 2- half while in initial growth tables are much better than vivs for adults

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your tortoise needs a substrate that holds moisture. It matters. Even in a desert, there are microclimates. A tortoise will burrow and moisten the hide with its own urine. No tortoise thrives in a totally arid climate.

froggyraine

He's had hemp since been a hatchling I got it from the breeder when I bought him and I've bought it ever since .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nobody is here to give you bad information or to pick on anyone.
We all want to help.
We've all been there.
Our members are from all over the world and represent thousands of tortoises being kept happy and healthy. As we learn, we help others with our experience.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm in the UK who was it you spoke to?

froggyraine

My tortoise isn't disfigured, and he's been seen by Stuart MacArthur so he's been seen by Stuart who knows his full set with pictures and has examined him and bar the soft shell underneath on his plastron he has nothing else wrong with him so how can you say he's disfigured ?

froggyraine

The substrate I will accept is not the norm and I was already going to put him onto a soil sand mix after this hemp was unusable but to say my tortoise is disfigured is really nasty.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Please post a clearer picture of your tortoise. It looks like he may have some pyramiding, but it's hard to see for sure on my handheld device.

There is nothing nasty about making observations or telling the truth. It's all in aid of your tortoise and his well being. No one has any other agenda. Sometimes it's hard to get the attention of people who are convinced that everything is fine and that the sources of information they use are correct and good. Don't take it personally. We assume you want information and the best for your animal.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Perhaps he could of choose a better word, but in the photo it appears your little guy has some pyramiding. Now, please remember that your photo is an overhead shot and probably does not adequately portray your guy. It appears that he is healthy and well loved. Btw I can show you a photo of a really pyramided leopard female that I acquired two years ago, due to her condition, the male has difficulty breeding with her. The lesson is that new information is currently available to end or drastically reduce pyramiding, In the future. Please stay with the forum, try to be open minded. There is a wealth of information to learn and lots of like minded people such as yourself.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Afraid I have not heard of Stuart MacArthur myself, he is not a name that I recognise from my research into tortoise keeping last year, but that is not to say he doesn't know a lot about them and I missed him. Is he a vet?

Thing is - as with our own medicine and care - things change over the years as new discoveries are made.
The people here have years and years of experience of keeping all sorts of tortoises in all sorts of conditions some of them have been at the forefront of research and new ideas. They are always happy to take the time to give us the benefit of their experience and advice us so that we can avoid making the same mistakes as them - even if it isn't always what we want to hear. But if it means the torts will also benefit and live longer healthier lives then we have to take the rough with the smooth, listen and act accordingly.

I personally think its a very nice table but it needs some plants to make him feel more secure. Maybe spider plants. Henry is also already quite big so you will prob need to update to a larger table a lot sooner than you may think.

If you do change substrate - sand is not good as it can impact in the gut. Have a look at the caresheet for your tort to find out what is recommended.

Please don't be offended by what you are told - everyone here only has the best interests of your tort at heart.