Helpppp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
you guys soo i have my russian tortoise for about a month and he still hiss at me when ever i try to pick him up just to tell u guys my parents are divorce so i dont see him every other week

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I don't think he is hissing, it's just the sound of the air coming out of his lungs when he pulls his head in.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
emmalaub said:
you guys soo i have my russian tortoise for about a month and he still hiss at me when ever i try to pick him up just to tell u guys my parents are divorce so i dont see him every other week
plz can i have some help

emmalaub said:
emmalaub said:
plz can i have some help
thanks but can i have some more advance

:tort:
emmalaub said:
emmalaub said:
plz can i have some help
thanks but can i have some more advance

plz more post

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what kind of advice are you wanting? Tortosies Hiss when picked up... its the sound they make expelling air when they pull thier legs and head in.
My advice would be Don't pick him up. They tend not to like it, if you drop them they can get very badly injured or die. So just watch him and enjoy.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
He isn't hissing. He is pushing the air out his lungs. My tortoise is very well socialized and she still does it. It doesn't mean he doesn't love you. :D

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Flo doesn't do it, but Phillip does. Usually if something startles him and he shoots in fast. It compresses the air so it comes out with a whooshing/ hiss sound. Try making a very slow movement towards him, so he sees you coming. don't pick him up from behind where he can't see you. I only really handle mine to take them out, bring them in, and bath them apart from the occasional picture.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They don't hiss, when they get scared or startled they quickly withdraw, and they expel air, it sounds like hissing, but it is just air being expelled. No more advice is needed or can be given on this subject.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I think all Tortoises and terrestrial Turtles do this when they get startles. My box turtle always does this when she is unsure.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
When he makes that sound he's telling you something, that he doesn't want to be picked up. If you must pick him up, there's no reason to take the sound as an affront to yourself. It isn't. Your tortoise is an animal with his own ideas of how things should be. He isn't a stuffed animal or a kitten or a puppy.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
Edna said:
When he makes that sound he's telling you something, that he doesn't want to be picked up. If you must pick him up, there's no reason to take the sound as an affront to yourself. It isn't. Your tortoise is an animal with his own ideas of how things should be. He isn't a stuffed animal or a kitten or a puppy.
thank u guys for all the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.