Help with UVB lighting

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I am currently using the repti sun 100 watt and uvb I also have a CHE for night but waiting to get a thermostat to connect it during the day. My temps are 80-90 basking spot 100-115 Should I go with a 75 basking bulk just to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I can't hang the light any higher is the uvb with the combo ok. I want to add light to the enclosure should I use a fluorescent fixture with what type bulk ?? This is a picture of the lighting fixture I use and of my enclosure. Thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413550344.115292.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413550373.974542.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413550396.757744.jpg

Any comments on rearranging or different light needed would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
those temps are in the realm of fine for a baby sulcata especially if humidity is high, which they need. 115 is a little to hot in my opinion but 100-115 is a pretty broad range too...How are you measuring your temps, what are you using? Do you notice what temp range your tort spends most of their time?

Also, are you using a coil bulb like in the picture on that box?

Louisiana
I though the temp was to high. Just got a 75 basking bulb and I have a temp gun. Just a small spot gets 110 but that's probably all it takes to hurt her. Yes that's the bulb. Should I change it. What can I use to brighten up the whole enclosure or should I not light it all up. Confused as usual

Peaches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't use that coil bulb. They sometimes cause eye damage. Changing to different wattage bulbs is one way to mange basking temps. The other way is to raise or lower the fixture. Yet a third way with any conventional incandescent (like the one you've got) is to use a rheostat and just dial it down.

I would not let the basking temp get over 100 for a baby sulcata. You'll overly dry out the carapace going any hotter.

For more light and UV you can add a florescent tube. If it will be mounted at 10-12" from the tortoise get a regular 10.0 bulb. If it will be mounted 18-20" or higher get an HO bulb and fixture. I just bought a couple of 36" Arcadia 12% HO bulbs and fixtures from this guy: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com and everything about the whole transaction was top notch. Customer service was excellent and the product is exactly what I wanted and working perfectly.

Louisiana
Thanks. I will take out the coil bulb now. Going to get the right uvb and what about fluorescent will any type do to brighten up the enclosure

Peaches

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
tube fluorescent is a great way to brighten up your enclosure.

Louisiana
Ok. I think I'm getting there. 75 w basking spot lamp ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413566038.125268.jpg
Now which Arcadia light my enclosure is 2 x 6 and hide is 2x2 total 8x2 The light would hang at about 17 inches so I think I need the 12% and was thinking 24 inch was long enough ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413566317.530905.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413566335.515863.jpg

So disappointed I had the wrong uvb bulb Trying so hard to research and this is her first day in the new enclosure. Peaches does go outside also about four times a week
One more enclosure pic ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413566524.221828.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413566559.416503.jpg
Getting rid of the bulb

Peaches

Louisiana
Thanks lismar79 Still don't know which light to get and I greatly appreciate your help.

Peaches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You only need a single florescent bulb. Look farther down the page. A regular non UV tube can be used to brighten up the enclosure, but you will need something for UV unless your tortoise will be able to get some sun year round.

I wouldn't buy a spot bulb. They cook the carapace. Just get a regular flood bulb from any hardware store. I use the 65 watt ones.

Louisiana
Can this light fixture be used to light up the enclosure on one bulb and uv on another not quite understanding if one bulb can be turned off Like turning off uv if not needed and other bulb left on just for lighting ? The single tube 22 inch is not available and I think 36 will be too long for my enclosure. My light will hang about 17 inches above substrate so do I need 12% light. So sorry about the same question I just want to make sure before ordering. One more question the 65 w flood light any bulb or is there incandescent or any other specific I should know before going to hardware store and seeing many different kinds and I will be confused again. LOL. I'm really trying to get this right. As you can see research is not the best thing I do !!!!

Peaches

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
That's a great setup! For the incandescent/day heat bulb, just get a flood instead of a spot. Probably cost around $5 or so. As for wattage, can't know for sure till you measure the temps. I usually keep 40, 60, and 100 around to play with distances and temp gradients.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
17" is too close for a double HO set up, but its too far for regular 10.0 tubes.

Louisiana
I'm going to get different flood bulbs thanks I have decided on a 10 tube bulb I will hang it lower. This forum is a turtle saver. Will post pics as soon as I'm done.

Peaches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't found that to be the case. Why do you think it's too close?

My Solarmeter 6.2 and 6.5 said so under a single bulb. If you are getting lower readings at that distance, it confirms my belief that everyone who uses indoor UV NEEDS a good UV meter to check UV levels in their individual enclosures, just as everyone needs a thermometer to check their individual temperatures.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
My Solarmeter 6.2 and 6.5 said so under a single bulb. If you are getting lower readings at that distance, it confirms my belief that everyone who uses indoor UV NEEDS a good UV meter to check UV levels in their individual enclosures, just as everyone needs a thermometer to check their individual temperatures.

No doubt! There's so much variation in the bulbs I've played with, I don't think I could recommend a UV bulb without a meter. I haven't used the Solarmeter products, but I've heard good things. Anyway, it looks to me like the dual fixture under consideration has one UV and one 6500. In the ones I've looked at, this combo and distance shouldn't produce to much UV and have a nice spectral output besides. I also use plants for variations in shade and brightness.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just went and remeasured my levels under that bulb. Its a 34" Arcadia 12% HO bulb in a reflective fixture.I turned it on and waited about three minutes. At 15" I got a reading of 171 micro watts per cm squared on my Solarmeter 6.2 and a UV index of 6.0 on my Solarmeter 6.5. That is equivalent to mid day full direct sun in the middle of summer here. By contrast I pointed the meter directly at the sun, in full sun at 4:30 PM just now and got 22 micro watts and 0.02 on the UV index.

So Crystal, you might be okay at 17". The only way to know for sure is to measure it with a meter.

Louisiana
So I can try the Arcadia 12% with the 6.5k day light bulb double fixture. Any suggestions on where to find a solar meter ?? I have switched to the flood light and CHE. Temps 80-84. Basking 90-95 humidity 78-84 %. Getting better. Thanks for all the help

Peaches