Help with tortoise enclosure

Shakaconor

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So I got a baby sulcata after about 3 months of waiting and I made his set up for the first night in a glass aquarium and he loved it he was eating and running around. Then the next day I built him a wooden terrarium but I’m having a hard time maintaining proper humidity and temperature I was wondering if I needed a new lamp set up or substrate to make it better for the little guy. Any tips are welcome thank you!!

Attachments

• 71666085156__9B8AB1A7-DCDA-4415-AEA5-42DBD99092E7.jpeg
    71666085156__9B8AB1A7-DCDA-4415-AEA5-42DBD99092E7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 71666082807__2D477295-639E-4C7C-AB81-AD1457346799.jpeg
    71666082807__2D477295-639E-4C7C-AB81-AD1457346799.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 71665739029__0AC7CA8A-6FAD-43B2-A148-1898EA702684.jpeg
    71665739029__0AC7CA8A-6FAD-43B2-A148-1898EA702684.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Get a green house to cover the whole thing. With it being open like that you will never keep the temps and humidity up.

Also that water dish is not good for him, use a clay saucer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a closed chamber not an open table.
That water dish is wrong, need a clay saucer.
The lights you are using is also likely wrong.you need a tube fluorescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter or two for night heat and added day heat.
No coil (cfl) type bulbs, no mercury vapor bulbs and no halogen bulbs.
Like Megatron's mom said, get a pop up green house or some other plastic and get the table covered or you will see pyramiding soon and he will be raised to dry. Also get everything else corrected.

Shakaconor

Pennsylvania
He needs a closed chamber not an open table.
That water dish is wrong, need a clay saucer.
The lights you are using is also likely wrong.you need a tube fluorescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter or two for night heat and added day heat.
No coil (cfl) type bulbs, no mercury vapor bulbs and no halogen bulbs.
Like Megatron's mom said, get a pop up green house or some other plastic and get the table covered or you will see pyramiding soon and he will be raised to dry. Also get everything else corrected.
Should I keep him in a glass aquarium then because when he was in the glass it kept the humidity up much better but I read it was better to keep them in the open so I built the box. And the lights are 1 100 watt uvb basking light 1 ceramic heat emitter and another 60 watt uvb lamp. But you are saying a tube light and cover would be better. Is that everything? I really love my little one and want to provide the best possible environment for him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a closed chamber enclosure either way, whether an aquarium or the table. If the aquarium is a large aquarium you can. Not anything less than a 40 or he won't have the room for the stuff that needs to be in there and to roam for exercise and proper digestion. An aquarium won't last long and then you Willneed to do something else anyway. The table should last longer but you need to enclose it.

Shakaconor

Pennsylvania
Get a green house to cover the whole thing. With it being open like that you will never keep the temps and humidity up.

Also that water dish is not good for him, use a clay sau
He needs a closed chamber enclosure either way, whether an aquarium or the table. If the aquarium is a large aquarium you can. Not anything less than a 40 or he won't have the room for the stuff that needs to be in there and to roam for exercise and proper digestion. An aquarium won't last long and then you Willneed to do something else anyway. The table should last longer but you need to enclose it.
Thank you for the help would I be able to enclose it with a plexiglass lid or would that cut too much oxygen?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Thank you for the help would I be able to enclose it with a plexiglass lid or would that cut too much oxygen?
You might be able to, but how will you get the lights set up?

I mentioned the greenhouse because the lights and everything can be inside the greenhouse to keep all the heat and humidity all inside. With the plexiglass you would have to cut holes in it and the heat would escape. I tried different ways when I first started the green house is the best beside the really nice closed enclosures.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome. I just wanted to explain that the reason the water dish is no good is because he could try to climb over and fall in - and even drown. You need a saucer shape, which is shallow enough for him to walk into it or out.The terra cotta plant pot saucers have a slightly rough surface, which helps against slipping and also helps his beak to keep trimmed. Push it into the ground to be practically level with it.
Your baby looks very cute.
Angie

Shakaconor

Pennsylvania
You might be able to, but how will you get the lights set up?

I mentioned the greenhouse because the lights and everything can be inside the greenhouse to keep all the heat and humidity all inside. With the plexiglass you would have to cut holes in it and the heat would escape. I tried different ways when I first started the green house is the best beside the really nice closed enclosures.
Ohhhhh I seee that makes so much sense actually currently ordering a green house off Amazon thank you both so much! I’ll keep you updated!

Shakaconor

Pennsylvania
Hey all just wanted to provide an update! I got the greenhouse uvb tube light basking light added more substrate and did a ton more research and I’d say all is great! Our little guy is happy as can be and the humidity and temps are right where they need to be. I got him 2 ceramic dishes and some rocks and logs for him to hide and play with. He’s active digging and pooping on an every other day basis. Thank you all for the help and here are some pics of the current setup

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5