Help with my male egyptian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptianTortoise

10 Year Member!
How to know if a male egyptian is ready for mate or still young? And does right lighting and diet affect desire of mating?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
egyptianTortoise said:
How to know if a male egyptian is ready for mate or still young? And does right lighting and diet affect desire of mating?

I do not know of a published account that specifically mentions male Egyptian tortoise reproduction cycles.

For most species males will attempt mating with 'new' females often, and over time that interest will diminish. For many species males will attempt mating pretty much any time of the year, which is not to say it will be successful, they may not 'have a loaded gun' as it is sometimes put.

Interest and success can be increased with separation of males from females and then re-introduction. If two males are re-introduced at one time, they may tussle over the female. That tussling (fighting) can have a feedback in males making them more likely to be successful sires.

And to the pointed part of your question, yes diet and environment (lighting) can effect the outcome. As for age, that is more based on size that years of life. If they are large enough to mount the female they are often "old" enough to mount the female.

Will

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Will said:
egyptianTortoise said:

I do not know of a published account that specifically mentions male Egyptian tortoise reproduction cycles.

For most species males will attempt mating with 'new' females often, and over time that interest will diminish. For many species males will attempt mating pretty much any time of the year, which is not to say it will be successful, they may not 'have a loaded gun' as it is sometimes put.

Interest and success can be increased with separation of males from females and then re-introduction. If two males are re-introduced at one time, they may tussle over the female. That tussling (fighting) can have a feedback in males making them more likely to be successful sires.

And to the pointed part of your question, yes diet and environment (lighting) can effect the outcome. As for age, that is more based on size that years of life. If they are large enough to mount the female they are often "old" enough to mount the female.

Will

Great information Will. I have some publications from a German chelonian book. The author noted with his specimens in his collection from egg pip to 3-5 years males can successfully copulate. Females were 4-6 years. Seems rather quick. But given the husbandry he undertook, it showed a suitable co edition for the animals to thrive well.

I currently have a 6 year old female I feel is still too young. But every case is different.

To the OP. Diet and every aspect of husbandry should be taken into account of successful copulation. So that being said. What size(grams and length) and age is your male? And do you have a mature female to pair with is the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.