Help With Lighting

Lemons

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone - I'm getting confused as to what kind of lights I need. I am currently using a 60W Daytime Heat Lamp for the day and a 60W nighttime incandescent heat bulb for night, as advised by pet store. I have him where he can get some sunlight from the window. What does my russian need? Thanks.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, he needs UVB if he's an indoor tortoise. Tortoises can't metabolise their calcium unless they get UVB either from their light or from the sun. In that vein, I use Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVB). I like them because they provide heat plus UVB all in one bulb. They are a bit pricey, but it's for the health of your tortoise. You may see a bit more activity once you get the correct light set-up going on. Russian tortoises don't really need any night time heat unless your house gets really, really cold at night. In that case, I use a 60 watt incandescent black light at night. Heat, but no visible light. Others also use Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE) for night time heat without light.

Lemons

5 Year Member
Well, he needs UVB if he's an indoor tortoise. Tortoises can't metabolise their calcium unless they get UVB either from their light or from the sun. In that vein, I use Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVB). I like them because they provide heat plus UVB all in one bulb. They are a bit pricey, but it's for the health of your tortoise. You may see a bit more activity once you get the correct light set-up going on. Russian tortoises don't really need any night time heat unless your house gets really, really cold at night. In that case, I use a 60 watt incandescent black light at night. Heat, but no visible light. Others also use Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE) for night time heat without light.
Thank you! Is there a brand you can recommend?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. the glass effectively blocks most of the UVB rays.

I use Zoo Med Power Sun, and the 100 watt is fine for my size tort tables.

Lemons

5 Year Member
No. the glass effectively blocks most of the UVB rays.

I use Zoo Med Power Sun, and the 100 watt is fine for my size tort tables.
How close to my tortoise can/should the light be? Also, can I use my dome lamps that I already have?

Last edited:
Fort Drum
I use the same zoo med power sun 100w from amazon. I have mine about 10" away right now. the temperature gets in the low 90's. But i also have the (CHE) in the other side of my "TEMPORARY" tortoise tub. I use a Inferred temperature gun i bought from home depot about a year ago. And thats how i check my temps for all my reptiles.

Lemons

5 Year Member
I use the same zoo med power sun 100w from amazon. I have mine about 10" away right now. the temperature gets in the low 90's. But i also have the (CHE) in the other side of my "TEMPORARY" tortoise tub. I use a Inferred temperature gun i bought from home depot about a year ago. And thats how i check my temps for all my reptiles.
Thanks so much.